Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:48 PM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How-To: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION

Well you could make one for a 95 but it would be a bit different because I am thinking about doing it to my 95 so I took a look at yesterday and the setup is different.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Starting Member
sasquatchfound is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do one home made to your 95 could you post how-to? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Oh yeah, no problamo, with a general know how from tripleblack, I should be able to make one, it probably won't be till next week.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:55 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

No this setup won't work for '95 or older. That's not to say it can't be done. The only reference point I had to build off of is what the K&N kit looked like for my year (2000).
If you can find mounting points and be creative, you can make one for your year as well. Just base it off this:

As long as you understand the concept of isolating the filter from the heat of the engine bay, you'll be fine. Not saying you have to, but the sectioned outlined in red in the picture below looks to be the best spot to make a heat shield.

Post up if you do make one, it would be an asset to our fellow Blazer owners! And trust me, it will feel GREAT knowing you made it yourself!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:16 PM

Yeah I know it would be totally different and I already took pics of the disassembly but I am going to do the whole intake. I priced mandrilbent 3" tube and I need two 45 degree tubes so I am just going to buy a generic intake off of ebay and make a heat shield for it. I will be posting on it as well. Also if I were to get the tubing and filter it would be priced the same as this one below that I am getting off of ebay.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6760/6C994BED3E2A4310A45B3D5BE8733999.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Starting Member

Hey tripleblack that look like easy to make home made. Only 2 questions though is the cradle a needed item? and what is the diameter of the tube needed? That is all i need to make this work and i will post what i do.

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice job! Here's mine........I bought the whole kit for $100, (yeah a friend bought it painted the heat shield and never installed it...got hard up for cash and I jumped on it). It goes all the way to the throttle body.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Starting Member

Does any one know what the black box hanging below the air filter is on the 95 blazer? I'm guessing this is aliminated when modifing the intake right?

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:17 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you mean by cradle...if you mean heat shield, then yes it's necessary. That's what effectively isolates the heat from the engine bay. I'm not sure what size piping you need for your truck, mine was 3". Grab a tape and measure, shouldn't be too hard.

Lastcoupe, that's cool you found one cheap, I wish mine went to the throttle body, too.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:28 PM

Sasquatch, I know what you are talking about but I'm not sure what it really is but it is eliminated with an aftermarket intake.

Quick Reply: How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD