Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:56 PM
rastaskater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How-To: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION

ORIGINAL: sasquatchfound

Taymak, could you post some specs of what you did and used? I have a 95 blazer and i think they are both the same.

Thanks
Yeah me too. My question is what he used for the Heatshield. And it looks really close to the alternator? Does that cause any problems?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: rastaskater
ORIGINAL: sasquatchfound
Taymak, could you post some specs of what you did and used? I have a 95 blazer and i think they are both the same.
Thanks
Yeah me too. My question is what he used for the Heatshield. And it looks really close to the alternator? Does that cause any problems?
Your best bet would be to PM Taymacjack. It does look a little close to the alt, I'm sure you could nudge it forward a bit. Also I can't speak for him but the shield looks to be just sheetmetal with a layer of heat tape (or similar) on the one side. Maybe something similar to this: LMC Truck heat insulation. Don't quote me though, like I said best bet would be to PM him.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 PM
rastaskater is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i pmed him. It said he hasnt posted since last year =[

Old 02-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 02-29-2008, 03:58 AM
BlazinJay84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post, I wish there were more " how to's " this detailed and with pictures.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 AM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

How did you get the hose from not dropping down? i tried do this today with a universal kit i bought and the intake hose just wants to keep drooping down...

Old 04-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

uhh can you be more specific?

Old 04-18-2008, 06:44 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: djdrew010
How did you get the hose from not dropping down? i tried do this today with a universal kit i bought and the intake hose just wants to keep drooping down...
If you're talking about my style, my pipe actually rests on the hole in the shield. I hope to change it in the future to use less material for the heat shield and end it at the fuse box like the K&N, and also use a metal strap of some sort to go around the pipe as well to hold it in place.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

here is a pic of the intake i bought its just sitting in there mocked up until i figure out what im going to do with it....

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...0/IMG_1636.jpg

the rubber tube that connects with the metal tube drops down with the filter pushed as far in as it can go and its just like hanging there, what can i do to support it i know you said something about a metal strap but i dont see where i can put it to make it more ridged

Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

An intake like that won't really help more than the stock one without a heat shield. A heat shield blocks all the hot air under the hood from getting into the engine. The point behind a COLD AIR INTAKE is just that, to draw in COLD AIR

If you add some sort of support bracket to the intake pipe, that would stop it from "drooping down".

Below are some pictures of my intake. There is a small semi-circular bracket connected to an L bracket which is connected to a bolt on the fusebox. Hopefully, that's not too confusing.

you can click the pics for a larger version

Quick Reply: How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD