Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:38 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Im going to have to redo mine im thinking. Not sure if its not close enough to the top, or too much of a gap on the bottom. One thing is for sure its not a CAI right now its a Hot Air Intake, lol!

Any Advice on how to button up the shield a bit?

Old 05-31-2009, 11:33 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Back once again...

Forgive me for bringing this lil' gem back from the grave but it has come up quite a bit lately.
I am halfway through building my heat shield. Now since I am not what you would call "talented" with fabrication, nor would I be considered particularly "handy with a tool", I found this DIY quite well done!

Working with the demensions originally posted by TripleBlackBlazer on the first page, I built a cardboard template. After seeing the few posts referencing the numbers being off, I decided to use cardboard so I could adjust as needed.

I trimmed and shaped my cardboard to the desired demensions, the traced it on some heating conduit. * If you go to home depot in the heating/cooling section, they have steel tubing sheets with lips that fit together. Tracing my template onto the sheet, I cut it out with my handy tin snips, bent it into shape, and gave it a quick once over with some simple green, then rinsed and dried.

When dry, I hit it with some rubberized undercoating. the goal being 3 coats inside, 3 coats outside. This should give me enough insulation to make this useful durring a long summer drive. If not, I can awyas wrap some heating duct reflective tape on the outside. I plan to use garage door weather stripping around the edges to seal up any leaks.
Will post again when completed (Tuesday-ish).

Attached Thumbnails How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD-heat-shield-1-.jpg   How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD-heat-shield-2-.jpg   How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD-heat-shield-3-.jpg  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:43 AM

I just reworked mine. I went and got some firewall insulation, the double sided stuff, then I cut it down and fit it all over under and around the intake. works great as long as there is cool air to breath. stop and go is still problematic. :-) I ended up using fuel line cut down the side to top off my sharp edges.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:40 AM
BF Veteran

Fuel line! I was going to use that crap they sell to protect your door edges, but that will hold up to heat better! Good call. As for the firewall stuff, did you line your shield in it, or build the whole set up out of it? Sounds like you made a kind of umbrella thing around your intake in the post above.

As far as drawing in "more-better" cold air, I was thinking about building a kind of forced air system that reroutes air from around the bumper/headlights etc and directics it into my CAI. That is still a ways off though.
Also, to help with your stop-and-go problem, just duck out of work early

Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM

Dude! I had to buy a huge roll of that insulation. If you want to meet up with me Ill kick you down a big enough chunk to do yours.

Im going to be headed to madras this weekend proly, I could swoop by when I pass through sandy. Let me know.

and yah my shield is galvanized steal i just kind "pushed" the insulation sheet down and around at the bottom.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran

holy crap that would be awesome! I'll PM you then

Old 06-06-2009, 12:26 AM
BF Veteran

Click me to see more of my Heat Shield build. I met up with Ugly_Monkey and he passed me down some of his magic insulation, spray of high heat adhesvie, and the kind of know-how doing it yourself brings. After getting me hooked up and back on track, I tackled insulating the shield, installing mounts, and covered the edges, but was rained out about 75% of the way in. I will finish this tomorrow (rain willing) and can start recalculating my MPGs soon.

For mounts I used the flimsy aluminum crap that came with my ebay intake. Teamed up with extra mounting hardeware from my scoshe HU adapter and a hoseclamp from my stock intake, I rigged a support bracket. By tapping a hole above the stock air intake hole and useing the clips and self-tapping screws that come with new speakers, I mounted my heatshield.

Last edited by ABN31B; 06-06-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

Got mine built and installed. I took the CAI I already had and repainted it with some high heat silver and then made the heat shield. Everything fits and works excellent.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

is that a Spectra set up?

Old 05-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

No, the tubes are off ebay and were painted, the filter is the only Spectre part because the ebay filter was crap.

Quick Reply: How to: Handmade heat shield and intake - DISCUSSION THREAD