Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

How to open a stuck rear window/tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Starting Member
ravenhurst is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to open a stuck rear window/tailgate

Well I've been sitting on this project for awhile, and since none of these posts really motivated me to do it, I finally just got fed up and did it! Of course since I'm doing something thats of high interest here, I brought my camera!
This post augments this one: https://blazerforum.com/forum/article-submissions-discussions-47/how-fix-rear-window-actuator-i-e-rear-window-wont-open-12396/
The other post has information as to where to order the part, and other helpful tips on how to get this done. This particular Blazer is a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT, with lift open window, drop down tailgate.

Step One:

Get inside the vehicle, and prepare to get warm and sweaty. Remove the tailgate pull handle. Sorry I don't have pics but it was already removed when I started this project. Its held on by two screws.

Locate the hole.

You can widen the hole to a rectangle shape if you have difficulty.

A view on the inside. You can see the blue arm, the end snapped off.

In the picture below, the actual metal lever that is pulled left (relative to facing aft) to release the window is hanging by the pivot point, pointing down. (unable to see) However, you can see the rounded pivot point peeking over the top of the mounting spot; I used a scribe to grab hold of it and rotate it up and to the left. Once you get it rotated, there's a hole in the tab that the end of the blue arm "should" be in. You can insert another tool into this hole to keep it upright, and push it left to release the window.

Now that the window is open, we can remove the inner molding.

Once all three screws are removed, pull up on the upper molding. DO NOT PULL UP on the bottom. In the below picture, you'll see the resistance clips that slide into their respective slots. This is whats keeping the molding in place. Once the clips are free, the bottom tabs/slots come out freely.

Next, remove the 12 screws holding on the black metal aluminum cover. Be careful, the edges are sharp.

Now before you remove the cover, find the metal connecting rods that attach the handle to the latches on either side of the door. You'll see these rods in plastic carriers. All you have to do is push down on the rods to release them. I used a screwdriver and a light tap. Also, you will see a plastic compression clamp. Use a pair of needle nose to release this. (Its far left in the below pic) This allows extra slack on the wires that are attached to the black plate.

The rod that connects to the tailgate release handle is a little tricky. Rotate the plastic grommet that attaches the end of the rod to the release mechanism. Once you rotate it, the rod will come free of the grommet and mechanism. Do not lose this grommet!

Here are a few pics of the culprit:

To remove the blue arm, simply rotate it until you can slide it off of the actuator.

Replace the arm. Installation is reverse of removal.

Last edited by ravenhurst; 09-24-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Beginning Member
ronaldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So what is the blue arm called and where do you get one?

Is there a source on the internet or local autoparts store or is the a dealer part. Do you know the part ID?

I took mine apart and sure enough, that is the problem.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Starting Member

NAPA Part Item#: BK 7355970
Price: $5.49

or RockAuto:
DORMAN Part # 42426
Body-Interior : Window Actuator Rod Retainer
Price: 3.95

or fashion something yourself to fix it.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:15 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Definetley saved this write up on my computer for future reference. Thank you!

Quick question! Is the room for a 3" long x 4" wide x 1" thick box between the tailgate and the plastic?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Starting Member

There's room for something like that between the inner metal sheeting of the tailgate and the body paneling on the outside... but between the metal and the plastic/carpet... I would have to say no. But there may be some nooks and cranny's you can something like that in. Hard to tell from memory, I had the tailgate apart about 4 months ago.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Awesome! Thats all I needed. Thanks again!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Starting Member
bruja03 is on a distinguished road
Smile bruja03

I definitely WILL keep this for Future reference! Found a solution, If & when it comes up! Thanks, Before it happens!!
On another note, I'm having Problems with our rear back seats, wouldn't you know, both rods/pull cords are Broken to put Down the seats. How do you Get to them or what do you do to find the broken cords.Took the seat off, Found ONLY one cable, LOOKS to US, as if there were TWO of them, Once upon a time, That somehow worked it's way to the back of the seat that Has a Latch like box, when Pulled that's when the Cable Unlocks the seat to go Down!! It's DOING NOTHING!!! (the Other seat is the same way). Just CAN'T Figure it out!! Any HELP would be Greatly Appreciated. Working on it as I text!! Thanks

Last edited by bruja03; 03-31-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bruja03
I definitely WILL keep this for Future reference! Found a solution, If & when it comes up! Thanks, Before it happens!!
On another note, I'm having Problems with our rear back seats, wouldn't you know, both rods/pull cords are Broken to put Down the seats. How do you Get to them or what do you do to find the broken cords. Any HELP would be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks
Hi, the pull-cords are routed down inside the seat and they come out at the bottom and connect to a small metal lever near the outer edges of the seats. You can manually push/pull the lever to release the seat. I think I have a picture of the lever somewhere and I'll post it if I find it.

edit: Found the picture. The lever is attached to a small spring that keeps it in the forward position. The cable is connected via a small metal clasp (it's unattached and resting against the carpet in this picture) but you can push it back just as the cable would in order to drop the seat. The lever and tip of the cable are circled in green

Last edited by mdehoogh; 03-31-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Starting Member
tja1123 is on a distinguished road

this worked great thanks.. it also works for an 2001 chevy blazer also!!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

I had to do this today. When I got to the hole, the lever had swung down so far that i couldn't get to it at all. I had to rip the tail gate panel off to get to it.

Quick Reply: How to open a stuck rear window/tailgate