Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

HOW TO: remove dash bezel and guage cluster on 98+

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Haha well it doesn't matter.... I just TRIED to change the bulbs... epic fail.

I when outside to my truck and disassembled everything, got the bezel out. I went to pull the speedometer light out, that went okay, so I pull out this socket and light thinking the light will pull out of the socket... it doesn't. I took it in to O'Reilly's to get some blue bulbs and they didn't have any (You need 168's for the bezel lights) I asked them to pull the bulb out so I could see the size and they said that it's built in to the socket... ugh. So I go back home with the original lights and put it all back together...everything lit up fine, just the way it did before except my SPEEDO was buried at 100mph. WTF. I was pretty upset at this point (about 25 mins ago lol) so I went for a drive, well after I got out of the neighborhood I floored it and the speedo started working so idk what the deal was.. hopefully it is still accurate..

All in all, I'm just going to stick with the lights I've got in it.. wooo what a night.

So if you're going to mess with the lights in your truck, BE SURE to buy blue lights WITH the socket... the guy at O'Reilly's told me the internet was the best bet..

Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

You can always get the bendy blue LEDs and wrap them around your gauges. Then when people look in your truck to steal ****, they will leave the rest of your gear alone because you clearly have nothing of value in a ride with blue LEDs bent around the gauges...

Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! Boys... Calm down, deep breaths.

#1 There are 2 very helpfull threads on this over at s10 forum .

#2 Don't use bulbs, use 5-SMT-Led bulb replacements.

#3 Rethink using blue, blue light is one of the most stressfull colors to look at(insert scientific citation), so I sugest white or as I have RED, the reason for red is that AT night it will take less time for your eyes to adjust back to the road and vice-versa.

#4 Get your LEDs from V-LEDs com .

#5 Re-use your old sockets, just free up the wire and pull out the old bulb. Then bend out the legs on the new led bulb and push it in. It is easy but alotta people cry about it. I grab those sockets everytime Im at the junkyard, lol just in case, haha!

Look at my album I have some (really bad) pictures of my leds and pillar pod guages leds.

I have replaced the cluster and all the interior/map/rearview/console lights, i used white for my courtesy lights and its like daylight at night, lol. ofcourse i spent about 200$ on LEDs, no joke, lol

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 06-04-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:43 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by okvortec
...everything lit up fine, just the way it did before except my SPEEDO was buried at 100mph. WTF. I was pretty upset at this point (about 25 mins ago lol) so I went for a drive, well after I got out of the neighborhood I floored it and the speedo started working so idk what the deal was.. hopefully it is still accurate..
Blazers have a bad habit of buring the needle like that when you play with the gauges. Same thing happened to mine when we were working on replacing the ABS module and the mech. was playing around with the battery and stuff. All he did was take a piece of mechanics wire and stick it in the hole where the trip push button is and push the needle back around to 0. He said they do this a lot and the Alero's and Grand Am's were really bad for this. It was an easy fix..just had to push it back around to 0. He said it doesn't effect it at all, they just spin all the way around and can't reset themselves (unless you do what you did apparently lol)

Originally Posted by ABN31B
You can always get the bendy blue LEDs and wrap them around your gauges. Then when people look in your truck to steal ****, they will leave the rest of your gear alone because you clearly have nothing of value in a ride with blue LEDs bent around the gauges...
hahaha great idea ABN!

Originally Posted by Ugly_Monkey

#3 Rethink using blue, blue light is one of the most stressfull colors to look at(insert scientific citation), so I sugest white or as I have RED, the reason for red is that AT night it will take less time for your eyes to adjust back to the road and vice-versa.
I'm aware of the blue being hard on the eyes at night...I was thinking about it more last night before I read this...and I may go with red instead. I'm still undecided. I think blue just looks so damn good lol, but if it's going to effect my night driving (which is already pretty hard because of my eyes) then I don't think I'll risk it. It's just blue would go with my truck...red wouldn't

Old 06-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... Talk about a hijack!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sisk28
What's the cost on bulbs oktain? Just thinking of running to Canadian Tire to pick some up, where did you get yours?
Umm, just normal GE 194 bulbs for the guage cluster, for 4 cost me about 3 bucks if I remember correctly... They have blue LED's from Eurolite at my Canadian Tire but they're 11 bucks for two, and I'd need six so I said "STICK IT" and stuck to stock... you have to be careful which LED's you buy though, make sure they're the "Inverted" LED's because you'll get bright spots from others (From what I hear). I'll post a link to a thread that Kyle had given me about a year ago if I can find it... It was pretty helpful initially for taking apart the Bezel but really didn't focus on it, hence why I made my own thread for it since it wasn't very clear on that, but the OP swapped out all his dash lights (minus radio) for Blue LED's and it looked great.

Last edited by oktain; 06-04-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future
Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Thanks for the link man!
I'll check it out once I get home...and I'll probably buy my bulbs online when I go to do it. My buddy says he got a bunch of LED bulbs online for $1 each..not sure what ones, but he has a cavalier and did his gauges blue too, so I'm assuming they're at least close in price.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
BF Veteran

I'm toying with the idea in my head also, maybe green? lol... it'll go with the Fusion sound system I have which is mostly lime green.