Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement 1996+

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 08:35 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough
Default Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement 1996+

I would like to see the following attachment posted in the Tech Section so I can link to it in the future. It's the factory info for 1996+ intake gasket replacement. Includes a step by step with drawings. Also has a section on installing the distributor correctly and torque sequence/values.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LowerIntakeManifold.pdf (455.3 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-10-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:25 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Where did find this? Is it a GM document?

Old 02-10-2020, 11:26 AM
BF Veteran

I would like to submit as a supplement to this the write up I found that now has a dead-link. See attachments 1 of 2 below. (2 of 2 in next post)

Old 02-10-2020, 11:27 AM
BF Veteran

Part 2 of 2 attached:

Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Last edited by Billy1820; 02-19-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christine_208
I would like to submit as a supplement to this the write up I found that now has a dead-link. See attachments 1 of 2 below. (2 of 2 in next post)
From the Tech Article (DIY) Index:
2nd Gen LIM Gasket Replacement by Bruce W. Maki (external link to handymanlyness.com sourced through web.archive.org as handymanlyness.com has since disappeared)
2nd Gen LIM Gasket Replacement by Bruce W. Maki (external link to PDF copy of handymanlyness.com article created from the web.archive.org version in case the web.archive.org copy goes down as well)

These dead links aren't dead and haven't been in months.

I also have the entire page downloaded with plans to recreate it here for preservation, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:57 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Where did find this? Is it a GM document?
yes it is

Old 02-10-2020, 01:19 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by swartlkk
From the Tech Article (DIY) Index:
2nd Gen LIM Gasket Replacement by Bruce W. Maki (external link to handymanlyness.com sourced through web.archive.org as handymanlyness.com has since disappeared)
2nd Gen LIM Gasket Replacement by Bruce W. Maki (external link to PDF copy of handymanlyness.com article created from the web.archive.org version in case the web.archive.org copy goes down as well)

These dead links aren't dead and haven't been in months.

I also have the entire page downloaded with plans to recreate it here for preservation, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Not dead? I guess it was a while ago the last time I checked.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:38 PM
Beginning Member
SilvrHairDevil is on a distinguished road

I'm about to undertake this project with the help of my wrencher guy. Thanks for that LesMyer & Christine_208.
Backstory: Both my SUVs died, the Explorer and the Blazer so I happened upon a mechanic's repo – a '98 Jimmy. I paid top dollar for it 'cause the mech had done a lot of work and ran up costs for parts. I expected more work would be needed and I wasn't surprised.
Now starting the LIM gasket repl and since it's all exposed anyway – the MFI spider seems a natural progression.
I'm a senior and I'm using a “shade tree” mechanic for the work and now I'll be able to monitor him. Anything interesting happens, I'll report back.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by SilvrHairDevil
I'm about to undertake this project with the help of my wrencher guy. Thanks for that LesMyer & Christine_208.
Backstory: Both my SUVs died, the Explorer and the Blazer so I happened upon a mechanic's repo – a '98 Jimmy. I paid top dollar for it 'cause the mech had done a lot of work and ran up costs for parts. I expected more work would be needed and I wasn't surprised.
Now starting the LIM gasket repl and since it's all exposed anyway – the MFI spider seems a natural progression.
I'm a senior and I'm using a “shade tree” mechanic for the work and now I'll be able to monitor him. Anything interesting happens, I'll report back.
Good Luck. There is a lot to get out of the way to get at those LIM gaskets. That is what I remember about doing the job. And as you said, while you are in there, it is worth considering the fuel injector upgrade.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement 1996+