Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I pulled the interior panel off but there was no possible way to snap a picture of how it's mounted behind the piece of metal that's there without cutting into it like dehoogh did. I can feel the other end of the bolt that mounts from the outside, but whatever it's mounted to (if anything) is too deep to feel from the tiny access hole there.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:30 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
I pulled the interior panel off but there was no possible way to snap a picture of how it's mounted behind the piece of metal that's there without cutting into it like dehoogh did. I can feel the other end of the bolt that mounts from the outside, but whatever it's mounted to (if anything) is too deep to feel from the tiny access hole there.
waoh awesome, could you tell if the bolt/nut was right up against the metal or was there something between the body and the base of the bolt? The diagram makes it look like it should be thicker than a standard washer or something. If you still have the panel off, try looking through the square hole above the tail light and see if you can see anything, there's more space there and you should be able to visible see the bolt with a flashlight or something

right above where the wire is grounded to the body in this pic

Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Since the quarter panels can't be removed, see if they will let you cut it open. A cordless sawzall would do the trick pretty quickly. None of the salvage yards around me are the pick and pull type, and my dad isn't in the business any more, or I'd borrow his sawzall and do it.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
waoh awesome, could you tell if the bolt/nut was right up against the metal or was there something between the body and the base of the bolt? The diagram makes it look like it should be thicker than a standard washer or something. If you still have the panel off, try looking through the square hole above the tail light and see if you can see anything, there's more space there and you should be able to visible see the bolt with a flashlight or something

right above where the wire is grounded to the body in this pic
Ya, that's where I was feeling around/looking. The bolt doesn't seem to be against the body. There's something there, I just can't see/feel it other than directly around the bolt.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Beginning Member
hammer051 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
looks great man, i dont know if we can have you in the club though...

.....only 2 doors on that ride.
Hey man 2 doors or 4 doors you guys helped me out and I greatly appreciate it!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:14 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by hammer051
Hey man 2 doors or 4 doors you guys helped me out and I greatly appreciate it!
glad to help out anyway i can, this is a great forum and we all bring something to the table that can be useful.

the more ideas / custom work the better the exp here i think.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

when i ripped mine off of the 2 door. the one bolt that was stuck on was screwed into some type of nut that was like welded to the quarter panel. i think that might be how they are in there stock. expecially if you see how short the stock bolts are.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by litterbug
when i ripped mine off of the 2 door. the one bolt that was stuck on was screwed into some type of nut that was like welded to the quarter panel. i think that might be how they are in there stock. expecially if you see how short the stock bolts are.
exactly what happened to me. the nut that was on the bolt appeared to have been welded to the inside and I couldn't see any more support.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:23 PM
tri94bbc is on a distinguished road
Default Tire carrier

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking to attach a carrier to my 94 full size. Right now I'm thinking a jeep aftermarket could be adapted to my rear bumper. But I will need to contact the company selling it to see if that is even a possibility.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by tri94bbc
Thanks for the tips. I'm looking to attach a carrier to my 94 full size. Right now I'm thinking a jeep aftermarket could be adapted to my rear bumper. But I will need to contact the company selling it to see if that is even a possibility.
You could also look into the H2 swing-out carrier. I've seen people use them on a couple of other vehicles. As a bonus, I've heard that H2's are basically built on tahoe frames so the width of the frame rails might be close enough on your truck that it won't be too hard.

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD