Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Got it done today...Warning, I took some pictures.

How I did it the easy way in the tight places:

Finished Product:

Lots more room

Everything works like it was a factory install. Swings shut without lifting it, plenty sturdy, and the wiper arm clears it. I didn't install one of the bolts. I'm sure the observant among you will spot it. I really don't think it's necessary and am seriously considering just gluing the bolt in place for aesthetics and to keep water out of the hole I drilled...I believe I have now created a 4-door ZR-2 wanna-be lol.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

looks good what happened to the last bolt any ways ? just silicone it in haha

Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM

You can see it sitting in the back of my truck in one of the pictures actually lol. And yeah, I think I'll just stick it in there. I just showed my girlfriend a picture (long distance thing) of my handy-work. Her exact words: "It looks like it was always supposed to be there" ...Little does she realize that was about the best compliment I've ever received lol.

Last edited by BlaziNator; 10-11-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

have to say...looks great!!
completes the look your overall build so far.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Why didn't you install that one bolt? Too hard to get to or body too curved? I think the nut on mine wasn't flush against the fender washers because the body was at such angle compared to the bolt.

It looks great btw, you gonna paint it?

Also what is that coily-wire tool called? I have some thin metal wires that thread onto the bolts but that thing looks way more useful.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Lol the masses are going to start being really confused over all these 4-doors with factory looking spare tire carriers springing up all over the place!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Meh, the masses are confused regardless.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:07 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

haha i agree even tho you have to admit its a great mod

Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 PM

House Brand PU17 Pull the hard to reach wires easily and

I guess it's a "grabber" lol. I bought it in a set with another coil tool that has a strong magnet on the end at Big Lots for $5. I love those things. Saved my life on this project. The one bolt was way too hard to get to; and if I did get it threaded, it wasn't going to get tight anyhow. So I figured it was a waste of time. If I did paint it, I'd just hit it with a rattle can job of rustoleum's bed liner stuff. Not sure what to do with the rim and tire. The tire won't clean up any more. I have tried lol. I might find a spare cover some time.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I had to cut an access hole for the bottom two holes and I was able to get a box wrench on the inside of each. That puller would have made it so much easier because the hole I cut looked nothing like yours and was tons of jagged edges. Sharp edges would nick my fingers, blood would drip onto nut that was being held by two finger tips, nut would slip and I'd end up cutting my hand more trying to retrieve the lost hardware. viscous cycle...

Are you going to do this to your other Blazer (I think you're the one with twin, matching Blazers)

And as goofy as it sounds, you could try painting the spare. I masked off my entire spare to paint the white letters black and the paint matched the rest of the tire. Someone on here suggested it once and I tried it thinking that it would look awful but it turned out very well IMO

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD