Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by blatherlather
This thread inspired me to do the same to my vehicle and I got so excited that I had to post. I picked up my tire carrier off a 2-door jimmy at pick-n-pull for $10 during their half off sale the other day and finally got around to sanding and painting it today. There will be more pictures once it is installed!
Dang if yours is a 4 door i wont have the only 4 door in western Washington with a carrier now!! haha

Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 AM
420Blazin4X4 is on a distinguished road

hopefully someone can answer this question..The tire swing I have one of the pins was siezed super bad in the sleeve..It took torching it to get it out..However the sleeve the hinge pin goes into was destroyed... My question is Im looking at the other sleeve...Are these sleeves press molded in or? Cause it seems all one piece...I need to find a replacement and have no clue how to get one in there if I cant figure how to take the other out..Has anyone ran into an issue like this or know of an alternate I can go with to get mine to be functional again to install it.... Appreciate any help..

Old 09-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Starting Member
Wisco Blazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 420Blazin4X4
hopefully someone can answer this question..The tire swing I have one of the pins was siezed super bad in the sleeve..It took torching it to get it out..However the sleeve the hinge pin goes into was destroyed... My question is Im looking at the other sleeve...Are these sleeves press molded in or? Cause it seems all one piece...I need to find a replacement and have no clue how to get one in there if I cant figure how to take the other out..Has anyone ran into an issue like this or know of an alternate I can go with to get mine to be functional again to install it.... Appreciate any help..
I believe the dealerships sell replacement pins and bushings for around $100, Unfortunately theres not much else out the for replacement bushings. Mine rattles like all H*LL, so I will be getting new bushings and pins soon!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:21 PM
420Blazin4X4 is on a distinguished road

Ok thanks for that info I found on gmparts direct its like $30 something for the bushings mailed to my door..Another guy on the forum here AleroBlazer just picked them up at a dealership for $18 .... I just came accross a page online with the schematic and a bit of trouble shooting...The link shows its for vacuum something ...However it takes you to a page about the rear tire carriers hope it may help someone else..GMC Sonoma & Chevy S-10 Transfer Case Vacuum Switch

Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

I need 2 of the rubber Bump stops if anyone has a chance to grab them.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I dont have that,but i do have the bracket that mounts to the tailgate. (was on my 1st gen,not sure if the 1st and 2nds are any different.) If anyone needs it let me know. Not sure if its worth anything.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough

ok so i swapped a zr2 front alum skid plate for a tire carrier. i dont wanna destroy the inside panels, and whats the strongest way to mount it? ive looked through the whole thread and saw a few different ways.also could some of you guys post up pics of how its bolted on the interior? thanks

Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Couple pages back shows that, But mine has flown open about 4 times (wasnt adjusted so it didnt always close) and i dont have any body damage from it.

Its worse when you dont realize it comes open while youre driving then hit the brakes and have it fly closed and feel like you got rear ended.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

They all like to swing open. The latch gets worn... I need to fix mine.. but it has not opened in awhile.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD