Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Without the striker plate, the left edge of the carrier won't hit my tailgate. It hits the wiper arm first. It very well may be that mine is bent slightly. I can install the latch to the right slightly so it still works and heat and bend the carrier a little bit later when I have access to a torch. I have to run back to the hardware store YET AGAIN because I just discovered I grabbed fine threaded 1/4" nuts the other day

This is turning into a bit of an adventure, but still worth it, IMO.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Hrmm, I know there were some slight differences between the carriers on the 95-97 and 98+ but I thought the main 'frame' was pretty much the same. That's weird that yours doesn't bend all the way to the gate. Do you have the dropdown tailgate or the full liftgate? Maybe theres a difference in the way the wiper is mounted?

Also, my whole carrier is slightly rotated (about 2 degrees) counter clockwise due to some not-so-great alignment by my buddy and I. I didn't notice it until I started drilling holes for the latch plate. Maybe mine's tilted just enough that it clears the wiper arm where yours hits.

this first pic has a green arrow where the wiper was hitting the carrier.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM

Mine looks the same as yours, but it's crooked. I can't see where it might be bent, but something's different on it for it not to line up right.

I'm going to go see if I can borrow my buddy's torch and try to tweak it a little.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

have to say both projects are looking good.
it will all be worth it in the end...

Old 03-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

It's possible it might be bent. I don't know... I have the "lift" tailgate and it clears my wiper with no issues. You might post some pictures of the mounts for the tire carrier. I know if the holes are off it could cause problems. The part of the mounts closest to the tailgate on mine are flush with the bodypanel.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I have to lift mine too. Probably just a common querk. I should have mentioned to mount it a little high you can ajust the latch some but if you're running too low you have to lift it up... Wish i could just swing mime closed

Old 03-18-2011, 08:36 PM

I ended up having to drive out to my dad's shop and use his torch, but I got it done. My wife wasn't too keen on it when I started, but now that it's finished and painted, she likes it. It swings closed pretty nicely, btw. I adjusted the rubber bumpers so it doesn't rattle or anything. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I appreciate all the help and guidance from you all.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i have an urge to say that all 4 doors with rear carriers post up some pics!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone needs specific pics of the carrier on a 2dr, let me know.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
If anyone needs specific pics of the carrier on a 2dr, let me know.
I'm finished with mine, but there are a few shots that would have helped. Specifically, shots of exactly where the mounts are attached. Maybe a shot showing how far above the tailight it is, and how close it is to the side window.

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD