Article Submissions/Discussions Have a Tech topic you would like to submit? See something that needs to be modified in a current Tech article, look here for the discussion thread.

so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
I'm finished with mine, but there are a few shots that would have helped. Specifically, shots of exactly where the mounts are attached. Maybe a shot showing how far above the tailight it is, and how close it is to the side window.
lol, mines angled. At the back, its too close to the light and at the front, its too close to the window. My striker plate also seems a lot lower than in your pictures.

Also, on your roof rack, there's a small metal plate with a weight limit, what is the number on it? I saw one at a junkyard once but I had forgotten about it until I saw it in your pics. I can't remember what the limit was.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

It says 200 lbs. Lol, my wife didn't even question why I was headed outside with a flashlight. She's pretty used to this Blazer business by now
Crap. I just looked over and saw the brand new UNOPENED tube of black silicone on my desk. Guess what I forgot to do? I must be getting old and forgetful...

Last edited by s14sh3r; 03-18-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:20 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
It says 200 lbs. Lol, my wife didn't even question why I was headed outside with a flashlight. She's pretty used to this Blazer business by now
Crap. I just looked over and saw the brand new UNOPENED tube of black silicone on my desk. Guess what I forgot to do? I must be getting old and forgetful...
thanks, lol that reminds me I need to buy some silicone

Old 03-19-2011, 03:04 AM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

I'll take some of mine when I get home from work. Just give me ideas on what would be helpful. Mine went on without any snags, and effortlessly latches to the tailgate. There was only one bolt that I didn't like the way it stuck out croocked. But I'm pretty picky. I have to take pics of mine anyways... Before too long me and benedict's blazers are going to be twins LOL! I started "blacking" more stuff out on my blazer. Oh, On the silicone.... I'd just do it like caulking around a bathtub. Just put a bead around the outside of the mount and press it in with your finger. Then wipe the excess off with a rag. It's what I did. It's messy but well worth the nice smooth look.

Last edited by closer; 03-19-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:57 AM
Jmooney152 is on a distinguished road

I just used one of the cheap tool box drawer liners I got with my toolbox and made a gasket. Im not too hot with silicone and, If I screw up it looks like hell on a red truck.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Starting Member

Well, I took some more pictures today. Like I said... Mines went on easily (other than no room to get the nuts on) and works like stock. Also I have no rattles at all (yet). If anyone has any other questions later down the road feel free to PM me. Hopefully this idea doesn't become the next big thing. I like being different...

Attached Thumbnails so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-001.jpg   so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-002.jpg   so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-003.jpg   so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-004.jpg   so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-005.jpg  

Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Starting Member

and some more pics...

Attached Thumbnails so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-006.jpg   so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-007.jpg   so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-008.jpg   so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-009.jpg   so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD-010.jpg  

Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

closer, that looks great.
nice and clean install.
like i said the carrier really sets of the looks of the 4 doors.
congrats.....welcome to the carrier club

Old 03-19-2011, 06:22 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

One thing I didn't see mentioned...if you use Permatex black silicone adhesive, wear rubber gloves. 2 rounds with denatured alcohol + 1 good scrubbing with Dawn dish detergent, and I still have black fingers

Old 03-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Starting Member

LOL! Yea My fingers were black for a couple of days from using loctite black gasket maker. I guess I forgot to mention that sorry.

Quick Reply: so you want a tire carrier on your 4 door?? - DISCUSSION THREAD