Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

***Will aftermarket head unit play through all 6 stock speakers???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 PM
batmangoalie77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ***Will aftermarket head unit play through all 6 stock speakers???

Hey everybody, I have2 questions I hope you can help me with. I have a 99 4-door with the stock 6 speaker stereo system. When I first got the truck, I thought about putting in an aftermarket head unit, but was told by someone thatit can't be done because the security system and ECM are connected to the radio in such a way that if I replace it...certain other things in the truck won't work (I think the dome lights or something like that was an example given to me).

1) Is this true?

2) If I DO still want to put in an aftermarket unit, most of them have 4 channels...but since I love the way the 6 speakers sound I'd like to keep them...do I have to wire an aftermarket unit differently in order to have it play on ALL 6 of the factory speakers? (I'm trying to get away without spending too much extra money, but also don't want to have some nasty splicing job to do).

I USED to be decent at changing out stereos, but these newer models (if 1999 can even be considered newer) make things so complicated. I miss my 94 Blazer...plug adapter, dash adapter, antenna adapter...DONE.

thanks a lot for the help.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 PM
BudRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ***Will aftermarket head unit play through all 6 stock speakers???

No. None of that is true. Your stereo install should be as cheap and easy as it was in your 94. The front speakers are on the same channels.

However, newer models with on-star features and bose systems are a different story.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

On some high end models, (BMW, land rover, etc...) removing the factory radio will cause major headaches. On land rover, if I remember right it will interfer with the security system and the navigation, and a few other things. Just another way of Factories trying to corner the aftermarket where the common man can't do his own work you have to give more cash to the dealers. But like Bud said the blazer should be fine.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

I threw an Alpine HU in my 01 and it was easy. Walmart to get the harness and antenna and adapter plate. took all of 45 minutes.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member
SPLjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

same here on an 01 jimmy before i had all the sound stuff i have now i just put in the alpine hu. The bose system is just the speakers no amp so itwont effect anything with a HU. new head unit did not affecton star at all and when you put in the new deck it will make those bose speakers fairly loud