Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

12" Box where spare tire sits...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 PM
pfcmooney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 12" Box where spare tire sits...

I was wondering if anyone has built a speaker box for where the spare tire sits on a 2nd Gen Blazer? I was wondering if this would be possible? I want the space in the back i have now, but i want a little more bass than the stock speakers.

I'm looking at putting either a Rockford Punch 12"
or a Cerwin Vega 12"

Any opinions on type of speaker to put there?

Thanks for your time!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:58 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 12" Box where spare tire sits...

ASubwoofer enclosure would easily fit in the space previously taken by the spare tire...As far as the Subwoofer itself it all depends on the sound you are looking for and your budget...If you could list the type of music and your budget I could help you find a good sub/amp combo to suit your particular application...

Also take into concideration your size restrictions. Below the window line you could fit two 10"s or one 12" sealed. One 12" ported would be pushing it with those space limitations. If you are unfamiliar with the diffirence, a ported enclosure has the ability to get louder and lower but at the expense of some higher bass and SQ. Also it depends on what the woofer is going to work best in...

Old 11-03-2007, 09:21 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

I would stay away from the RF punch series. The cones are made of a cheap plastic that cracks easily. Take a look at the dayton HO subs. If you want a lower profile sub, you could always go with an alpine type E, mtx RT series, or a JL W0 or W3

Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

im also working on makinga box to conform against the side corner of the cargo area. the way i have it now, ithas more cubic feet of space then the sub needs so i can actually probably make it smaller.

mine is a 4door and if yours has the spare inside, youprobably have a 2door. im not sure of the differences in the rear seats and cargo area but im sure it is possible for you to build one

Old 11-03-2007, 11:58 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

You can deffinitly build a nice box for a 12" woofer there, I have a 2 door with the spare on the inside, if anything with the 12" if you want to add space and a sub, the choice for a flat sub, like a pioneer ( which pound really well) would be a good choice. I have heard 3 of those pioneers in a crew cab chevy behind the back seat, yea big boom boom. Just one will give you enough bass for what your looking for, plus they sound good for all types of music. [sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 11-04-2007, 12:32 AM

ORIGINAL: thegr81

You can deffinitly build a nice box for a 12" woofer there, I have a 2 door with the spare on the inside, if anything with the 12" if you want to add space and a sub, the choice for a flat sub, like a pioneer ( which pound really well) would be a good choice. I have heard 3 of those pioneers in a crew cab chevy behind the back seat, yea big boom boom. Just one will give you enough bass for what your looking for, plus they sound good for all types of music. [sm=drooldude.gif]
Not trying to dog you or anything, but you must not have ever heard anything really clean...Because any real audio guy will tell you that flat woofers sound like crap...Sure they save room but you could just as easily go with two small 8"s and get much cleaner sound quality and comparable output if not more...

If space is a big issue then I would suggest one or two 8"s in a ported box, you can get away with about .5-1 cubic foot of airspace for each 8" depending on the model and they usually have a broad frequency response range in a higher tuned ported enclosure...

A few good brands would be RE, DD, Hertz, Ascendant.....RE's(resonant Engineering) 8"s would probably be the most cost effective and efficient setup...two would run you about $170 and you only need around 300watts rms to push them....

Old 11-04-2007, 12:37 AM
BF Veteran

Well cloak01ls I have heard clean before, I was making a suggestion like everyone else, the pioneer flat 12's if in the right box do sound good and clean. It all comes down to the box, with the right box anything can sound good. I also agree with you on the 8's as well but, one good 12" will give you all you need really.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:45 AM

Enclosure is definately the most important thing, but theres no reason he should sacrifice sound quality by going with a shallow-mount when he has plenty room for a normal well designed bass driver...

Old 11-04-2007, 12:47 AM
BF Veteran

True sooo very true, I only suggested a flat in case more space was wanted but if they want to take up the whole spare area just a regular dvc would be perfect. I am going to be running 2 12" fosgate hx2's ( favorite subs) soon as I bag my blaze to the ground and see what my floor looks like.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: cloak01ls
Not trying to dog you or anything, but you must not have ever heard anything really clean...Because any real audio guy will tell you that flat woofers sound like crap...
I consider myself a real audio guy, and I dont think flat woofers sound like crap at all (woofer specific ofcourse). Aura made a flat piston woofer for a while that people were using in their dashboards. Sounded amazing! The new JL flat piston woofer sounds immaculate. Ive never been a fan of the pioneer flat piston woofer, but I have heard it in 1 or 2 applications where it was clean, although not loud by any means. Strictly SQ.

Quick Reply: 12" Box where spare tire sits...