Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

2 door non-ext cab S10 Bass help....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Planert_NCI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 door non-ext cab S10 Bass help....

so Im looking at buying a 91 S10 beater after I..... "killed" my last one due to a simple over heating problim, that led to a fire problim, that led to my truck landing in the junk yard... (It's been awhile since Iv been on here, so no one has probly heard of me or my old S10...)

I salvaged out my old subs and head unit (luckly the fire didnt make it that far) but with this new pick up there just isnt room for my box and amp due to it being a reg. cab. So I was searching for a solution, I still want a good deep base, and dont want to go with one of those simple little behind the seat boxes, or tubes. Since this truck is a beater, I figured I would just mount all my subs in the back pickup box, then possibly port them through to the cab, or somethign like that. Iv heard of it being done befor, but never looked too much into it. my idea is to get a dummy black utility box for the back, and put the sub box in that, and cut through all the stuff between that and the cab...

soo how would I go about doing this, over coming any flex between the box and cab, and still getting a good sound. I thought about removing the bench seat, and adding two buckets, then maybe flush mounting one big sub to the back wall and making the box part in the back, but if I simply cut out a huge square, and weld some metal in between, then build my box to fit in that, am I going to have any problims with it flexing between the pickup box and the cab?

Im probly making this way to hard... lol

Last question, anyone know off the top of there heads if this would be legal in comp? I read some rule books, and all I read was it couldnt go above the lowest pont of the window, but I never read or heard of it not being able to go outside the "normal" cab even if its built that way.

I know I asked a lot of questions here, and any/all of your help will be greatly apreciated. I figure if anything, Ill do all this work to this beater, then if I upgrade to a better truck, or rebuild this one I can redo this better and better once I get money.

PS. the truck is a 91 Chevy S10 pickup reg. cab with the (I think) 4-cyl engine and standard transmission with over 200,000 miles. its rusty, but the frame is strong, and its only $500 asking price (I could get it probly $400-$450) and once I blow the engine and tranny Ill probly do a 350/305 conversion. after I lost my old truck, I just dont have the money to be buying anythign spectacular untill I get another job. (ironicly I lost my old one due to not being able to make it to work cuz my truck started on fire... lol)

Thanks alot, Louie

PSS. I curently have a Pioneer head unit, a cheaper 1600W amp pushing two 12 inch subs (turned down to about 800W) and another smaller amp (like 400W maybe?) pushing two 8 inch MTX Road Thunder Two's (cant find the Wattage on these, not on the speaker or the internet). They all sound suprisingly good (for only two 12's and two 8's) when paired up, but doubt Ill keep them for this truck, especially if I go into comp's. I only had these for easy listening, but they rattled the mirriors when I turned them up.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:47 AM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 2 door non-ext cab S10 Bass help....

BLOW THROUGH!!!!!!!! They get loud as fu*k though. Dont know if your going sq or spl, but Ive seen numerous blow throughs and they all sounded good. Its just a beater so what the heck go for it. As long as you can weld i dont see any problems. Make sure to dynamat or some how deaden the extra sheet metal you weld on there.

Dan

Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 AM

I like loud

and I mostly want sq, but if some dude next to me thinks he is all that, I want to be able to blow his doors off too. I persinally cant weld, but I have many friends and relatives that can. Also, this is a good time for me to learn I guess... lol

Anyone know anygood places to find more info on how to, and things to do/not do? also any cheaper material like dynamat? If I recall, I was looking at it for my old S10, and sh*t wasnt cheap. if I do it, Ill probly just weld some thicker sheet metal outside, and build a box inside that, with a locking latch and everything (just found out Ill have to change the door locks as they dont have the key)...

Old 04-03-2008, 12:48 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Second skin is a good alternative....

Check ebay for good prices on large quatities. You can even get dynamat extreme for pretty cheap. You shouldnt really need that much for an s-10 anyways.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:27 PM

Hmm, thanks for the advice and info dbleon. Im going to look at the truck pritty soon...

now anyone have any good sites on how to do it? like the best way to conect the cab and box or anything? Iv heard of eather welding between the two, and a rubber gasket type thing, but I didnt know how much it would flex with welding somethign in there...