Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

5 watt difference on a head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 02:53 PM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 5 watt difference on a head unit?

ORIGINAL: 2000ZR2

i most likly did i bought it off a friend that wrecked there car and they said it was like a high model and they wanted 40 bucks for it so i was like what the hell it was a good deck just bumps screwed it up hey it was 40 bucks and i had it for a yr and a half so i got my moneys worth i just bought a new poineer and a new alpine head unit the alpine is for my blazer and the poineer im putting in my girlfriends car so ill see how this one works out
cool. but if the alp and pioneer are both brand new, i can tell ya now that the pioneer will sound better. alpine's SQ has declined in the last couple years

Old 12-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think i'm sold on Alpine, but i'll ask my buddy who works at besbuy, thanks. Is it possible to put a disk changer in the dash of my 03 blazer? Thanks

Old 12-21-2005, 11:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Canadian88

I think i'm sold on Alpine, but i'll ask my buddy who works at besbuy, thanks. Is it possible to put a disk changer in the dash of my 03 blazer? Thanks
well try to get an older alpine deck...like 2002 or 2003. Youll be much happier with 1 of them than a newer one.

as for an indash cd changer, i really doubt that one will fit, but if you try anything, try nakamichi 6 disc indash unit. its pretty small for a 6 disc changer.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:21 AM
1BlazR is an unknown quantity at this point

Canadian88 :

Pioneer Premier DEH-P670MP (CD/MP3/WMA) is the wasy 2 go!

It's MOSFET 50x4 ...will be buying one (off e-bay) ~$150US ...shld cost ~$80 to install..

Old 01-20-2006, 10:29 AM
85FSBSilverado is an unknown quantity at this point

Or get a stereo and amp, run the main speakers with the amp, couple smaller ones with the head unit. That's what I did for David's Blazer. Kraco tape deck running the stock speakers, Sony deck running 4 small speakers in front, RCAs back to Coustic 4-channel with 4 6x9"s, and a Rockford with a pair of Jensen 10"s.

You can put like 10 CDs on an MP3 format CD. Or, do like me and get a DVD player with over 1000 songs on one disk. Got my JVC for $240 shipped off www.ikesound.com but I'd recommend the Arsenal version of mine. I have the KD-DV5100:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/179578

Old 01-21-2006, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: 85FSBSilverado

Or get a stereo and amp, run the main speakers with the amp, couple smaller ones with the head unit. That's what I did for David's Blazer. Kraco tape deck running the stock speakers, Sony deck running 4 small speakers in front, RCAs back to Coustic 4-channel with 4 6x9"s, and a Rockford with a pair of Jensen 10"s.

You can put like 10 CDs on an MP3 format CD. Or, do like me and get a DVD player with over 1000 songs on one disk. Got my JVC for $240 shipped off www.ikesound.com but I'd recommend the Arsenal version of mine. I have the KD-DV5100:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/179578
you cant always run an external amp and the internal at the same time. on some decks, the internal amp will shut off if the preouts are in use. just letting u know

Old 01-21-2006, 10:51 PM

Whew, lots of info. I'm probably gonna go with the Alpine though. I have always liked them. My buddy who works at best buy has one in his truck, and it sounds absolutely amazing. I don't know what year it is, but i'll figure it out. What's involved in installing one of these? Does anybody have any pictures of a mid installation? Are there any mods required? I did my own speakers no problem. I helped my dad do a deck, but I was kinda young, so i don't really remember. I've heard that the wiring can be tricky. I don't want to shell out dough to get it installed if i can do it myself, but at the same time, i want it done right. I have all the tools you could possibly need, so that's not an issue. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:06 AM
85FSBSilverado is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure on the new Blazers, but I believe they're 1.5 DIN. And if it's not single din, then you'll need a mounting harness. Don't forget a wiring harness to make wiring easy. Get wiring harness, twist up matching wires really tight. Then tape them up.
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/266811//Twisting.AVI
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/266817//Taping.AVI
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/2...onnections.AVI

Old 01-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my GOD!!! You don't actually install stereos using the techniques shown in those videos do you??? WOW! Man, and I've always said that even using crimp on butt connectors was bad. That is just wrong! I have ONLY used solder to wire any adapter harness and then used shrink tubing over the soldered connections. About the only other thing I would even think about doing would be to use the new butt connectors with shrink tubing on them already, but I still really don't like crimp connectors all that much.

I would NEVER think about just twisting the wires together and throwing electrical tape over them! I don't know how many stereos I have rewired because the previous install was hacked in using the techniques shown in those videos...

I seriously hope you were just joking!

Old 01-22-2006, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I would NEVER think about just twisting the wires together and throwing electrical tape over them! I don't know how many stereos I have rewired because the previous install was hacked in using the techniques shown in those videos...

I seriously hope you were just joking!
Holy **** yeah. I did a direct solder job on my speakers. That is so dangerous. All it takes is one little arc to start a fire. We are redoing the basement in my house, and we found two such wiring jobs. it looks like the previous owner did it. There is a regular wire, 15amps, which has been cut, stripped, and another wire has been run into it. They twisted the wires together, and put a **** load of electrical tape over it. WOW. No box or anything. My dad and i couldn't believe our house didn't burn down yet. Anyway, anybody got any tips for wiring a deck?

Quick Reply: 5 watt difference on a head unit?