Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Is this an alright Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:48 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough
Default Is this an alright Alternator?

When i bought my truck from a dealer 2 years ago they put this Alternator in because the other one was bad.
BBB Industries - Automotive & Power Sport e-Catalog
Im planning on running a 800-1000 watt amp for my stereo and was just wondering if this will run that just fine.

PS: sorry if this should be in the audio section, i didnt know which to post it in.

Edit: Sorry for some reason the link brings you to the search page. The part number is B8206-5

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 10-22-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Starting Member
trucktom is on a distinguished road

yeah np, just use a capacitor to protect the trucks electronics and will keep your lights from dimming. plus itll hit harder lol. 1 farad per 1000 watts minimum

Old 10-23-2011, 12:11 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to 'Audio/Video Electronics'*

Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trucktom
yeah np, just use a capacitor to protect the trucks electronics and will keep your lights from dimming. plus itll hit harder lol. 1 farad per 1000 watts minimum
please do not give advice if you do not understand the truth about capacitors. OP, you want to ensure your big 3 is upgraded. This, along with a good battery and alternator will keep your lights from dimming. you will not, I repeat NOT, need a cap with your mild system.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Starting Member

will not NEED, but is a good idea electronics dont like spikes. and as 4 u bobdits u got some nerve! this is an open forum for help not for bs. nothing i said was wrong and i do understand. im ase master level so watch your p's and q's

Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I want to hear the truth about capacitors.
Just a link to something authoritative will do.

I've got a little formal training my own self and I've been noticing lately there's a LOT of experts in car audio big sound dont seem to think they're a good idea.. or necessary.

Funny.. any other intermittent draw system they are a good thing.

Something to think about though.. before you hook up arc welding cable between your alternator and the current drain; rectifier diodes blow from instantaneous overload, too.. in fact, mostly.

That's the best main reason to upgrade your alternator. You can make sure the terminals are in top shape but dont increase the wire size from alt to battery by more than one ga size unless you go to a bigger alternator. And then match the wire size to it. Of course you find that by looking at a car they came on. some mfrs DO know what they are doing; that resistance and fuse link are there for a reason.

From Battery to amp, use as heavy a wire as you can get. Better to run matching pos and neg all the way from battery terminals. If that's impractical, increase the neg from battery neg to frame a lot, run at least 10ga neg back to the amp, tie to body ground.
I'd run at least 8 ga positive wire back to a 1000w amp.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-23-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:13 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*If differing opinions cannot be discussed without rudeness, this thread will be closed.*

Old 10-23-2011, 11:38 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info guys, i do have some knowledge of capacitors, bobditts and Trucktom you guys were both right no one was really wrong. thank you pettyfog for your info as well. so from what i gathered, my alternator will be just fine then. my plan is to run 4 gauge from the battery back to the two amps then use a splitter to run two 8 gauge wires to each. one amp is 1000 watts and the other is maybe 100 watts (for door speakers)

Old 10-23-2011, 11:38 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pettyfog
I want to hear the truth about capacitors.
Just a link to something authoritative will do.

check out the sticky in this section

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
my plan is to run 4 gauge from the battery back to the two amps then use a splitter to run two 8 gauge wires to each. one amp is 1000 watts and the other is maybe 100 watts (for door speakers)
do you have a specific 1000 watt amp in mind? is that RMS or peak power? If RMS, I imagine the minimum recommended wire size from the amplifier company is going to be 4ga.

nothing i said was wrong and i do understand. im ase master level so watch your p's and q's
will keep your lights from dimming.

this statement was wrong. The reason why a vehicles lights dim from an audio upgrade is due to a bottleneck in the electrical system. Installing a cap without fixing the root cause will cause more harm than good. The dimming is almost aways due to a weak battery, bad/dying/weak alternator, old or too small wiring, or a combination. Youre right, this is an open forum which is why we have to protect the people who are still learning from misleading information. Nothing rude about it.

Last edited by swartlkk; 10-24-2011 at 06:26 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post and use the multi-quote feature to reply to more than one person.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Starting Member

bottle neck, ok. thats one way to say it. thats why the cap helps cause the power supply is at the amp, keeps the voltage drop to a minimum over the distance. imo the cap is healthy for the amp because the more amps pulled over a set distance is in relation to the voltage drop, lower volts requires more amps to do the same job causes loss of efficiency and excess heat. plus sub buzz. and big plus 1 on the aditional ground

Quick Reply: Is this an alright Alternator?