Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

which amp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Resale value would be the last thing on my mind when considering 8's as a subwoofer option. They have their place, there's no doubt about that, but it's a fairly specific application and that's simply because they generally have the smallest enclosure requirement. That and the wow factor some people go for using them, otherwise 8's offer no advantage whatsoever over anything larger in size. Even on the enclosure's they're not a great deal smaller than what a 10 would require for the same alignment and tuning. The question comes to whether or not that difference in size is worth the difference in output. When you compare apples to apples, specifications to specifications, the comparable 10 will always have the capability of getting louder than the 8. I'm not saying you can compare a Sundown SA-8v2 to an IA I10 and the I10 will always come out louder, I'm not saying that at all because you're comparing two completely different drivers with completely different specifications. Considering the SA8 has more XMAX and is rated for more power it could very well be able to give more output than the I10, however the SA8 costs nearly twice as much per sub. The fair comparison would be the IA I8 and the IA I10. Both are rated at the same power handling, have the same XMAX and the same motor force. In the same basic alignment with the same tuning the I10 will be louder than the I8.

As with everything in audio, a person always has to keep in mind the compromises and consequences of the decisions that are made. It's not easy and often the knowledge to understand all that information just doesn't exist, I know only enough to be extremely dangerous, lol. A pair of 8's could suit your application and goals well but to get a pair that would compete with a pair of 10's or possibly a single 12 in output AND still be within your budget would be tough to find IMHO. I'm not saying an 8" in something like the Sundown SD or E lines for example wouldn't fit, but considering the minute price difference between those two sizes in those lines and the small difference between enclosure sizes I'm certain the time and money would be better spent on the 10's over the 8's.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

i just think it makes more sense to run 2 8's instead of 1 in my application. i could safely run 2 I10s on a SAE-1000d/SAZ1200D at 2ohms (yes ik the 8 could handle it) the I10s are within budget and i can get 2 for what my budget it, and IA is a trusted name. so i think 2 I10s and a SAE-1000d/saz1200d in the prefab i have (play with the tuning) and 4g wire(for now) down to 2ohms, is my best option for now cause with the 8s id have to have 2 SA8s straped at 1ohm >:]

Old 10-17-2013, 02:54 PM

I didn't intend to make it sound like I meant to run only one, just that one on one the 10 will be louder than the 8. The count wouldn't matter, a pair, three, six, even ten 8's won't be as loud as ten comparable 10's.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 PM

i just think ill be happier with 10s. im not trying to impress anyone but myself.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Steve-o
i just think ill be happier with 10s. im not trying to impress anyone but myself.
Of that I'm certain. That's why I went through so much trouble explaining why 10's are a better choice than 8's except where the difference in enclosure size is an absolute necessity and becomes the deciding factor.

Although I definitely think we need to work on you a design for a new enclosure for those tens rather than try to use that old MTX enclosure. BTW, what's the max dimensions you have to work with and keep access to your spare?

As for the amp, if you can swing that Sundown you'll have yourself a great amp for the money. If it doesn't work out for the Sundown then several other good alternatives have been listed/mentioned. Also, don't worry about matching the power exactly quite so much. You'll never hear an audible difference with 50-100 watts higher or lower than the subs are rated and if it was over it's definitely not enough to worry about damaging the subs. As a matter of fact, if I had a choice I would much rather be over than under.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM

about as big as that currernt box is is what i have to work with. not alot of room :/

Old 10-17-2013, 07:00 PM

So the same width and depth as the MTX box (32.5 x 16.5)?

I take it that keeping the height to about 14" or so is ideal for you? Could you possibly go as high as 15"?

If so that gives about 3.36cuft GROSS to work with and should be almost perfect for a good, efficient low tuned enclosure.

What's your preference on orientation, subs up/port back, subs & port back, subs and port up, subs up/port to the side?

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 10-17-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:16 PM

As long as it looks and sounds good.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Well, looks good is a relative statement, sounds good is always the goal.

With the limited space it's hard to get anything very fancy, such as a center slot port design, but I think a standard slot port will look and perform just fine for you. This is 2.2cuft NET tuned to 32hz with a 2.75" x 12.5" port. Fairly run of the mill and should do great for you.

If it suits you then I'll get the design finished and the cut sheet posted up for you.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:39 PM

yes that will work as long as it is for 2 10s thank you

Quick Reply: which amp?