Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Amp Load Question (JL AUDIO)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road
Default Amp Load Question (JL AUDIO)

I know there are some JL AUDIO nuts out there so maybe you guys can help me out.

I was given 3 JL 10w1v2 4-ohms.I was just going to use 2 but my amp (JL 500/1) is way to powerful for just 2. So I am planning to use all 3.

If I run all three in parallel I'll have a ohm output of around 1.37 which will give the subs roughly 165 watts a piece which is more then enough for these subs.

My question is I know this amp is stable at 1.5 ohms, but will it be to much to run it at1.37 ohms?

Also If I run them in a series I would have a total of 12 ohms. Can anyone tell me roughly what the power output would be at 12 ohms.

These subs dont need much to sound good.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
BudRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Amp Load Question (JL AUDIO)

I would just run the two in a sealed enclosure with the gains conservatively set. 250 watts a piece is within the thermal power handling capabilities and I would imagine they're underrated for warranty purposes. If they rated them right at their actual thermal capacity, plenty of people would be running them at their peak then want to make warranty claims for frying them. I'd say you're safe running them conservatively.
I've been running an ID12 (~250W RMS suggested) at 1ohm off a 750 watt @ 1 ohm amp (hifonics NX750D) for 3 years and haven't had a hiccup yet. It likely doesn't see all of this power due to my headunit and amp settings. I really can't think of an optimal setup with your speaker and amp combination. I'd hate to fry a nice ($$$) JL with an overloaded circuit.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

im sure the actual load the amp see's after impedence rise and such will be above that number....hopefully someone can confirm this....and if the amp didnt like it, hopefully it would kick into protect before anything happens......

Old 02-27-2009, 07:21 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

im sure the actual load the amp see's after impedence rise and such will be above that number....hopefully someone can confirm this....and if the amp didnt like it, hopefully it would kick into protect before anything happens......
you sir are correct. After impedance rise you will probably see over 2ohms anyway. You should be fine running 2 on that amp. Like stated above, keep the gain set conservatively and you will be fine.