Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Amp problems need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Starting Member
Loud_01_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Amp problems need help!

So my amp hasn't been turning on the last few days, so took it to the local shop yesterday and had them hook it up to there soundboard, and it worked perfectly. well i spent the last 4 and a half hours messing with it and finally got it coming on like normal. I turned volume up enough so you can just start to hear the subs and i drove up to radio shack to get a new multi-meter. I kept it at that same volume all the way there and back. Finally turned the volume up to where i would be listening to it daily and the amp went in to protect and has stayed in protect. The gain was litterally all the way down. Checked the subs, there fine. power,ground, and remote wires are fine too...Any ideas on whats going on??

Old 01-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Amp problems need help!

i suspect the ground wire is the issue. where is it grounded at?? run a length of wire up to the neg terminal on batt, and meter your ground location. make sure DMM is in ohms, and and you zero it out (touch leads together until DMM reads zero.) one lead to tem wire to neg terminal, other lead to ground location. write down that number. then turn stereo on, make sure amp is on, and do the same thing again. should be below .5 ohms in both tests. if not, re-ground that amp. LMK what you find.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Starting Member

ok assuming i did it properly, with the car off i was reading 3.0 with car on i got no reading whatsoever...

BTW i have it grounded in the back behind the side panel where the jack is..where do you reccomend i ground it??

Old 01-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Administrator

you should be getting below .5 ohms. that is a decimal place there, meaning .5 ohms. I have always had mine grounded underneath the rear seats. if you pull up the flap that goes up and down with the seats, you will see a band of steel on the side that the seats are bolted to. that bolts to the frame. there is a bolt in the middle that really looks like it isnt doing anything. 19mm bolt. pull that up, make the area around it nice and shiny, and bolt that baby down. have metered that exact location in at least 15 different blazers, from 86 upto 2004. that is a perfect ground.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Starting Member

i know you said .5 thats why i thought i did it wrong because i was reading dead on 3.0....i will go ahead and move the ground. butwhy would that all of a sudden be a problem ?? i've had it grounded there for like 6 months now just curious...thanks for the help!

Old 01-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator

maybe things just got moved a little. but if you still have the problem, then we have ruled out a ground issue, and it will help with your bass!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 10:56 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

Hillbilly, a shop grounded mine there, but it dosent look like they sanded it. Are thosenuts threaded on?......it was a while ago, but i remember the bolt/nuts looked weird, though i could wrong....

I think i tried a cresent wrench....but couldnt budge the darn thing

Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Administrator

nope, just grab a 19mm deep well and a breaker bar and have at it.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:23 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

would it even be worth the trouble just to sand it?

Old 01-22-2007, 01:23 AM
Administrator

yes it would

Quick Reply: Amp problems need help!