Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Any suggestions on wiring a light bar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:54 AM
Starting Member
hearne is on a distinguished road
Question Any suggestions on wiring a light bar?

Just bought a 2000 S10 Blazer and I keep finding answers to my questions here so I figured I'd make an account.
I am looking at installing a lightbar and I would really like to maintain a stock look on the interior.
Question: Can I use the existing rear windshield wiper switch to control the light bar? The rear windshield wiper is kinda useless to me as the motor died in it and I'm too lazy to repair something I never use.
I intend on replacing the relay for the rear windshield wiper with the relay for my lightbar in the relay box. This (theoretically) would also save me a lot of work running wires into the cab.
If this is a bad idea, are there any other semi-worthless switches I could repurpose?

Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 AM
Starting Member
duder is on a distinguished road

plug into a cigarette lighter ,js it works and not invasive/add inline fuse as well while yer at it

Old 11-09-2018, 08:34 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

What I've done before is wire a relay to trip with the high beams (basically just make the coil pins that activate the relay tap into the high beam headlight bulb wiring, polarity does not matter) and have that relay turn the light bar on and off work the high beams. The only way I see this not working well is if you have daytime running lights that make your high beams come in while driving, then it would create issues...

That's how I have my light bars set up in my 04 but I also have a set of switches in my roof console that allow me to override the system and either disable them completely or turn them on regardless of even the key in the ignition via a 3 position switch.

I direct wired a 24" bar mounted in the bumper of my old Corolla the same way, to kick on with the high beams. No interrupt switch setup in it though.

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 11-10-2018 at 10:03 AM.