Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Anyone have Delco speaker specs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone have Delco speaker specs?

Hi everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of upgrading the sound system in my blazer. Does anyone have any information on the specs of the original AC Delco speakers and head unit in my 02 blazer? I am looking for the power/watt/ohm ratings for all of these:

Front speakers are labeled 15753502

Rear speakers are labeled 16164475 RT-RR ERS

Head unit is labeled 15091316

From my understanding the front speakers have built in piezoelectric tweeters but does the center cone in the rear speakers act as a "cheap" tweeter or are the rears primary function for low frequency?

I have uploaded images here: http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/steinj1/

Thanks for your help

-Jesse

Old 06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member
CDJr is on a distinguished road

I just got through pulling mine out and replacing them, however I have a 2001 and they made many changes between 01-02. My door speakers were the normal 4Ω but oddly enough the rears (which were 6x9 in 01) were 10Ω. As far as the power handling capabilities, my guess is that theyre probably matched pretty evenly to the head units output, which with the basic non-Bose system is pretty sub-standard IMHO. If youre trying to find and replace the weakest link, Id definitely replace the speakers first. What are ya thinkin about throwin in there?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:49 AM

That sounds like what I have. I think the fronts are 4 ohm and the rears 10 ohm. The only difference is mine are all rounds. Before I go throwing any old speaker in there I want to make sure the head unit is powering them correctly. Would it be best to replace my speakers with the same ratings as the originals? How much variance can I have with this? How hard is it to find 4 & 10 ohm speakers in the size I need (I think I have 5 1/4's)? Also the fronts have powered tweeters while the rear has a paper cone in the center. Would it be best to put dual voice in all 4 doors or keeps the rears as woofers? Any help you can provide would be much appreciated!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Beginning Member

Ahhh, I see in your pics you removed the speakers as well as the plastic housing. Itd probably been easier to just remove the speaker and leave the housing attatched. Yours are probably 6½". Four ohm speakers are the most common, 2 ohms are readily available, but 10s are pretty much unheard of, and theres a good bit of tolerable variance there. But you are correct in assuming they really should be somewhat matched to the head unit...although I am using my stock reciever to power the 4Ω Alpine and 2Ω Infinity speakers right now (while waiting for the trim kit for my Alpine head unit to arrive) and theyre working just fine and nothings blown up yet . Granted, I may have chosen different speakers if I planned on never replacing the head unit or never installing an amp, so Id say that would be your determining factor...future plans. Id choose speakers with my future plans in mind moreso than the stock head unit, if that makes sense.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I wanted to remove the whole housing so I could replace the foam gasket between the housing and the door frame. I plan on using sound deadener on the insides of all the doors. Is your stock head unit the same as mine? I want to verify if my stereo is powerful enough to power different speakers (I was going to amp them with a separate amplifier but some have told me I wouldn't need to). I don't mind the stock radio (functionally, it does what I need to do). What are you running in the rear? dual voice or single woofer?

Old 06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Beginning Member

Oh I see. My stock unit is bottom-of-the-line and they changed the cosmetics in 02 so its hard to say if its the same...Im sure theyre close. But yes, your head unit will work with almost any speakers so I wouldnt worry so much about that. I also wouldnt overlook the benefits of a good amp, especially if youre gonna get some good speakers, it just depends on how good you want your music to sound...for just an average music listener who listens to the radio just to break the monotony of road noise, no, they probably dont need to invest in high-end stuff or even an amp, just some decent speakers. But personally, Ive always been a music lover and I like for it to sound as if Im sitting right in the recording studio or at a concert listening to them play in person Heres the speakers I put in the rear of mine...they sound far better than the ones they replaced but nowhere near as good as they will amped up and with my new head unit...http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086929...9i&tp=91&avf=N