Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

aux - stock tape deck mod. for inputs

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

dont know what that might be..did you check connections at back of tape deck?
does it make any sounds like it might be doing anything at all?

Old 05-29-2011, 09:25 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Nope, it does nothing at all. Almost like it has no power coming to it. I tossed a tape in there to check it a couple weeks ago, but haven't done anything else to it yet.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i say check the harness..or fuse maybe?
its easy to get out of the center console...just be careful with the face plate...those stupid little plastic tabs will snap off in a heartbeat.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

I'll have to mess with it. I'll let y'all know what i find when I yank it out.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Starting Member
some_oddball is on a distinguished road

Would these instructions work with a 2001/2 model? Just tried to use a Philips adaptor for my iPod, which went about as well as Dee Dee Ramone's rapping career. Help solving either of these problems is appreciated.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 AM
BF Veteran

yes they should work with any model and cassette adapter.
sometimes the deck itself had problems taking the cassette portion...if i disconnect the battery and then put the cassette back in it may kick it out, i just try again...but it will stay in.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:01 PM
ud0delig is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have the pin-outs what each of the wires in the harness is for, specifically I mean the ones that lead to the center console cassette deck?

Maybe wiring a aux plug could be just as easy as knowing which wires are for audio, power, and some way to fool the system to think the aux is engaged (an on/off toggle switch perhaps?) just kicking around ideas, thanks

Old 01-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Starting Member
myprixxx is on a distinguished road

Anybody ever tried digging into the factory radio itself? I know a bunch of the GTP/Regal GS/Impala guys, myself included, have taken our OEM decks apart and then spliced a jack into the actual face itself. Then I cut the wires from the CD player to the preamp and ran those to my new jack. took another set of leads and ran them from my jack to the pre amp. when there is no aux cord in, it plays the CD as usual, but when my cord goes in the jack seperates the two sets of wires and plays the music from my cord. I did this because my car is lowered 2 inches and rides like hell so all I get is the CD skipping. AFAIK the guy who does this on Ebay does uses this same technique only he uses the AM/FM channels to pre amp. This is why if he installs the plug on the back he has to put a button on the front. So that the button can disconnect the original wires and force the player to only recieve signal from the aux cord itself.

This is the GA forum, but same thing we did. Would be awesome if we could find the same on our HUs. Especially if we could do it via the AM/FM controls so our CD players wouldnt be constantly running. Thats the only complaint I have from the one in my car.

aux input on an '01 - Grand Am Owners Club Forums

Edit: found the link I used

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

Last edited by myprixxx; 01-04-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Found CGP link
Old 01-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Starting Member
zedder12 is on a distinguished road

I did this today for my truck. Only difference is I used a 1/8 female jack and mounted it on the face. Looks stock. I found no use for the blue wire at all what were you guys using it for? I grounded my 1/8 female connector to the tape deck itself. That left the blue wire and the other small black wire which looked like a ground. When I connected my ground it to it worked fine,but I decided to just ground to the tape deck frame.

Red and white (L+R) I assume (original poster did not specify what wire is what) so blue is actually the ground?

Last edited by zedder12; 01-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Starting Member
ahhansen is on a distinguished road
Default I tried this and audio quality is really bad did i do something wrong

i soldered the wires color to color from my radio to my aux cord from my cassette adapter then i put in a normal cassette tape that would play triggering the aux function on the radio.

when i play music i hear the background like guitars and drums but cant hardly hear any voices i have checked my solder joints and they are good.

does anyone know if this method works very well either?

my truck is a 2001 Chevy S-10 crew cab with auxiliary tape player