Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

back again with yet more amp issues. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Beginning Member
dwhittaker is on a distinguished road
Unhappy back again with yet more amp issues. please help.

Okay, to start off. I'm not completely dumb about this stuff. I know how to tune an amp, how to wire my speakers to the correct ohms for the amp.

I'm having a similar issue between both of my amps.

First off I have an Alpine mrd-m501 pushing 2 Alpine type r 12s at 2ohm.
Even with the gain and level all the way down, at almost any volume the amp will turn off and turn back on. When it happens, the amp just turns off then back on over and over again. I've tested all the voicecoils in the subs. All at 2 ohm. The amp isn't even close to hot. Any ideas?

Second, I have a Rockford fosgate p200-2 running my type r components and coaxials. 2ohm stereo. 100 Watts perchannel. Turned gain down but still statics and going n and out at loud volumes. All connections seem to be solid.

Nothing I'm using is garbage. $50 binary shielded rcas per amp. 12awg scorpion speaker wire for the subs. 18awg scorpion speaker wire for my door speakers. 4awg Rockford wire to and from each amp.

Have tried bypassing deck by hooking rcas directly from my zune to the amps. No change.

Help meeeee

Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

your alpine seems to have symptoms of a blown power supply. the rockford may have a bad output, or input causing the noise.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

That is way too small of an amp for 2 type r's. are your type R's the dual 2 ohm versions? or dual 4 ohm? What is your voltage on at the amp when this is happening? stuff like this is very easy to diagnose. it's a whole 3 wires. get a multimeter and let us know what is happening.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Beginning Member

alright duder, i'm still hitting 137 with the 575 watts in a custom tuned box, so no, it's not way too weak. yes i need 1000watts, but unless you want to buy it for me, it's gonna wait until i fix all my current problems, and after i get an hc1400. they're the 1222d's dual two ohm, my first statement was the fact that i know ohms. illiterate?

and the voltage, at least the volt meter on my pioneer deck never shows less than 13.8 when it cuts out, i'm thinking it may just be a ****ty remote relay in my pioneer deck. i've got a kenwood kdc-x993 on the way.

i'm going to bypass the deck by jumping the power to the remote, and using an adapter to connect my zune directly to the amp via rca. that'll cut the deck completely out, then i'll see what happens.

i'll put a volt meter on it later today and see what it reads.

keep you posted.

****one problem after another****

just read the volt meter at a steady 13.3-13.8 at the amps, until it randomly drops, down to 10....

i then cut the pioneer out of the equation. jumped the power to remote, got power to both amps, just from the battery. used a headphone to rca jack, played 'put on' through my subs, never dropped. played ants marching full volume through my rockford and it never dropped.

so correct me if i'm wrong, but replacing my deck will fix all my issues?

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-06-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:02 AM

Which is dropping to 10 volts the remote? if so there is no need to replace the deck just change your remote to the decks accessory.
and no offense but since you refer to it as "knowing ohms" i'm sure there is a lot you don't know. i hear kids tell me crap like that all the time at work. "It's all hooked up right i did it myself but the amp turns off"

Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by zerepdivad
Which is dropping to 10 volts the remote? if so there is no need to replace the deck just change your remote to the decks accessory.
and no offense but since you refer to it as "knowing ohms" i'm sure there is a lot you don't know. i hear kids tell me crap like that all the time at work. "It's all hooked up right i did it myself but the amp turns off"
i've learned ohms law in a college physics class.

obviously it's not the ohm load, it works fine when not connected to the deck, just zune through the rcas and power. with just rcas from the deck, BOTH amps turn off, with just remote connected, they turn off. if the rockford is brand new and the alpine's older, but fine, and they both decided to start cutting out 4 weeks after the install of the rockford (i've swapped in another rockford to see if that's what it was, it wasn't), it's a faulty deck. if it was my wiring, it would've happened sooner.

i hate all the condescending ***** on here, i'm just asking for help.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

All involved need to relax a little. Pioneers are known for bad ground planes in the deck. So replacing your deck might help. Where is your ground for the amps? What is the resistance of the ground for the amps?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Beginning Member

The amps are bolted to cleaned frame. The ground couldn't be better. This problem just recently popped up the amps haven't been an issue until recently. My system works flawlessly with the deck out of the equation

Old 03-04-2011, 05:10 PM
98jimmySLS is on a distinguished road

pioneer decks are junk when running a system, my system is doing the same thing since i went with the pioneer deck i had an alpine deck and someone decided to take that on me, never had an issue with alpine, since i went pioneer is nothing but issues... get rid of the deck. its something with remote wire, and rca on the pioneer that were poorly made..

Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 PM

hmm interesting enough in the last 5 years i've been an installer i've only ever seen pioneer decks with the rca issue when installed by diyers. I've never had one come back with that issue. Can't say i've ever seen a remote go bad randomly either. if it's really dropping to 10 volts or whatever you say then just use the decks accessory wire to turn on your amplifiers. Or wire a relay triggered by the remote wire.

Quick Reply: back again with yet more amp issues. please help.