Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

back again with yet more amp issues. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

im anxious to see his results when he actually gives the amps input voltage on the RCA's instead of thru a zune..

Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Beginning Member
dwhittaker is on a distinguished road

see that's what i'm thinking, i'll let you guys know. but i have a kenwood excelon kdc-x993 on the way. i'll hook it up, and skip rocks with my pioneer in the river.

Originally Posted by zerepdivad
hmm interesting enough in the last 5 years i've been an installer i've only ever seen pioneer decks with the rca issue when installed by diyers. I've never had one come back with that issue. Can't say i've ever seen a remote go bad randomly either. if it's really dropping to 10 volts or whatever you say then just use the decks accessory wire to turn on your amplifiers. Or wire a relay triggered by the remote wire.
okay, i'm getting really tired of you insulting my intelligence, you act like this stuff is hard. it's not. get a wiring diagram, some crimps, some decent wires, hardware, design a box, cut wood, glue nail, caulk. hook it up. jesus christ you think that just because you haven't seen a bad pioneer in the few years you've been installing them means that it doesn't happen? obviously if my setup worked for a LONG TIME without any problems, and all of a sudden, BOTH amps are showing the same problems. and those problems go away when i go around my pionner deck. then possibly, quite possibly, you could get off your high horse and admit you aren't any better than me. the deck is a solid 4-5 years old. i got it out of my dad's jeep before we junked it. it was installed professionally. his engine died, i grabbed the radio before we got rid of it. my install was correct. had it checked out by my girlfriend's dad. he just so happens to be the manager of audiotronics around here. they know what they're talking about. he saw my connections, where everything went, all my wires, what i was working with. The word "PERFECT" came up. okay? sir? if you have questions then fire away. quit being a *****, and either help or gtfo

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-06-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

If it was truly that easy and you're so good at it you would have had the problem figured out within 5 minutes, and wouldn't have needed to post on here for help.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by zerepdivad
If it was truly that easy and you're so good at it you would have had the problem figured out within 5 minutes, and wouldn't have needed to post on here for help.

This is a forum to help each other, not throw around how smart you are.

We all get stuck now and then. In my 15 years of being an installer I have seen many Pioneers go bad from professional installers. Instead of criticizing and talking down to the guy, lets try to help him out instead of talking how much smarter you think you are. Lets get back to basic troubleshooting.

OP, do you have access to a DMM? Forget the Voltmeter on the deck. What is actually happening when it cuts out on the meter? Check remote with the deck hooked up and without.

Again, what is the resistance of the gound?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM
zerepdivad is on a distinguished road

I tried to help out. I gave suggestions on how to remedy the situation if truly the remote was randomly dropping out or not putting out voltage. I suggested he relay off of the remote wire, or use the accessory off of the deck. I also told him to check voltage already as well. He took offense to me asking probing questions to see how exactly he had things hooked up and whatnot.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by hillbillyinOhio
This is a forum to help each other, not throw around how smart you are.

We all get stuck now and then. In my 15 years of being an installer I have seen many Pioneers go bad from professional installers. Instead of criticizing and talking down to the guy, lets try to help him out instead of talking how much smarter you think you are. Lets get back to basic troubleshooting.

OP, do you have access to a DMM? Forget the Voltmeter on the deck. What is actually happening when it cuts out on the meter? Check remote with the deck hooked up and without.

Again, what is the resistance of the gound?
i have a dmm, how do i test the resistance on the ground? just power to ground at the amps?

battery voltage doesn't drop, it stays around 13.8-14.3v when it's cutting out. tested with a dmm

it only cuts out when either the rcas, or the remote, or both are connected to the deck. when i jump power to the remote and use rcas from my zune or phone (it's a stereo headphone jack to RCA adapter wire). the voltage stays at what it should be and never cuts out turned all the way up. i've tested the ohms and everything is right at 2ohm per channel. also, awesomely enough, when i use my zune or phone directly to the amp, there is no alternator whine. which is terrible with the deck connected. my rcas are bulky shielded little suckers so i'm guessing bad ground on the deck, not on the amps. and i also get sound from the deck when it's playing cds, you can hear the cd motor spinning through the speakers.

the way everything is wired: i know it's confusing, but it's the best i can do

reading the same voltage at amps as at battery

Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Disconnect the - battery terminal and disconnect the ground wire from you amp. If your dmm probes are not long enough, you will need to create a jumper extension out of some primary wire or whatever wire you have handy. Measure this wire for any resistance reading and subtract it from the total.

Also, check the ground on your radio. Try taking a small piece of wire from the RCA outputs on the radio to a screw on the chassis of the radio. Post what ya get for return resistance of your grounds.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Beginning Member

fascinating enough, i put in my kenwood excelon kdc-x993 and ALLLLLL of my problems disappeared. no alternator whine, to deck being dumb, no amps killing themselves. just awesome sound, awesome deck, awesome system, so to the dude that was all like... "you don't know what you're doing" was wrong as i had assumed, the pioneer is going back to my dad to go in our 87 4runner, it should work fine in our crawler without a system.

thanks though for all the help.