Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Best speakers under $100?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Beginning Member
ChrisAttebery is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best speakers under $100?

I just bought a 98 4dr Blazer and the sound system is literally making me sick. It looks like the same deck that was in my 2001 Silverado, which I liked, but it sounds muddy and tinny at the same time. I've played with all the controls and I can't find a sweet spot. I've got a Sony CDX-GT610Ui deck on the way, but I think that the factory speakers are the problem. I'd like to replace the four door speakers and disconnect the dash tweeters. Personally, I think the dash tweeters might be the biggest problem. They don't seem to match the door speakers at all.

Can anyone recommend some good biaxial 6.5s and 5.25s for under $100 total? I'm not planning to amp or add a sub. I just want some clean sound with decent bass. I listen to mostly Alt Rock, Hard Rock, and 80's.

Thanks!

Chris

Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 AM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Best speakers under $100?

Yeah I hear you on the tweeters, I had the same problem, they sounded poopy,lol so I just took them out. As far as door speakers go, I found that polk audio is good but they are more than $100 I think and you might just want to save yourself the hassel and headache and just spend the extra $$$ and get good speakers. I got pioneer 6x9's for my olds last year and I spent $100 and for what I spent they were worthless because I wasn't running any after market amps on them. So If your just planning on getting new speakers and then I would just say to spend the extra money but it's your decision.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also I forgot to mention, do you listen to your music loud or just normal because if you listen to it normal then their are some decent speakers for under $100 but if you listen to it loud like I do then I would suggest get something over $100.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Pioneers seem to do well, I have 4 ways (Pioneer TS-A1781R) in the front and 2 ways (Pioneer TSG1640R) in the rear but would recommend the 3 ways in the back. Here is a link to the 3 ways (Pioneer TS-A1671R).

Just from what I have had experience in. You can fit the 4-ways only in the front doors, and have to go with 3 or 2 ways in the rear due to mounting depth. I can't remeber the specific mounting depth , but I know the 4 ways just fit in the front door and that the 3 ways will fit in the rear doors.

-Lenny

Old 07-06-2007, 01:17 PM
dudley08 is an unknown quantity at this point

try this website
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...?CategoryID=15

Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Beginning Member

I would say that I'm not listening too loud compared with most of you. I like to listen at a comfortable level. Of course, if the system can handle the power and still sound good I'm more likely to turn it up a bit once in a while. I'm more interested in quality than volume.

I was looking at these at onlinecarstereo.com:

Pioneer TS-G1341R $46
Pioneer TS-A1672R $47

How do they stack up?

Chris

Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I hope you realize that you have 6.5's all the way around. I would suggest either the 6012I or 6022I from infinity, or the TSA1672R's

go to www.froogle.com and put in model numbers.

I am not a fan of three ways and 4way speakers, give mea set of two way co-axials or a 2 way component set any day. way too much tweeters.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Beginning Member

hillbillyinOhio,

The 6012i looks like what I need. The price is certainly right.

Thanks for the hook up.

Chris

Old 07-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Beginning Member

Last night on the way home from workI finally figured out what's wrong with the stock setup. There's absolutely no low end bass. When I turn up the bass it gets muddy because there's a ton of mid bass and still no low bass. I think I'll be investing in some speakers soon.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:10 AM
WisdomRacing is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with ya. I just ordered 4 Polk MOMO edition 6.5s with an Alpine CDA-9885 Headunit. I'm assuming they won't be too good for bass so I'll be making a custom 10" enclosure similar to JLs Stealth Box, but with an amp or two integrated in. Not a whole lot of space to work with, but hopefully I can make it work. Anyway ebay has amazing deals on this kind of stuff...I got 2 pairs of the 6.5s for what 1 pair would cost elsewhere. Hope you enjoy whatever you end up with.

Quick Reply: Best speakers under $100?