Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

big 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
mudd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default big 3

first i have a first gen. im plan on buyin a yellow top tommorow will it fit? second how hhard is it to do the big three on a first gen blazer. 2.8 engine. and does any body know the stock alt amps?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: big 3

yes a yellow top will fit (you do know that is not a starter battery right?). The big 3 is EXTREMELY easy with that engine. Check out my install thread to see pics.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: bobditts

yes a yellow top will fit (you do know that is not a starter battery right?). The big 3 is EXTREMELY easy with that engine. Check out my install thread to see pics.
actually i didnt know it wasnt a starter batt... i though i heard people using em as one. im open to batteries i just need side post i dont feel like changing it to top post what would u suggest then?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
johnnyr is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a yellow top in my 99 with no problems. This winter I threw a charger on it a couple of times, 'cause most of the time its just short trips to the train station, but I never had a problem starting up.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 PM

the red top is the optima that is designed to be the starter battery. Yellow tops are designed to be auxillary batteries. Might I ask why you want an optima? Just because of what you have heard or do you have any direct experience with them?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 PM

no i wanted to use kinteic (but no side post) because of what i heard. i was goin to go with a optima because they could be had at the local autozone. y what r u think about

Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 PM

i need a pretty good eltrical for my atomic 3000.1

Old 05-14-2008, 12:42 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

My optima yellow top lasted as a starter battery 10 years it just died this spring. Optima actually told me when I was buying a battery that the yellow top was recommended for me as a starting battery due to my stereo.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:02 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Bobditts, I don't know where you got your info from but your off base.

The red top is cranking only, yellow is a hybrid: cranking and deep cycle, the blue top is deep cycle (no cranking just aux).

I've had the same yellow top for about 6 years now in 3 diff trucks and its still cranking mine fine and running my lights and radio. In the past two my lights were all the warning lights for the vol fire department (reason why I went with a yellow top) and I know they made a good strain on it. Now I've jumped to LED warning flashers and lightened the load a bit.

For the stock alt, I think its 100 or 105 amps.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Im not saying the yellow CANT be used as a starter battery, but that isnt its intended design. The yellow top was designed to be a second battery used in conjunction with a starter battery. The blue top is for deep cycle purposes like you mentioned - constantly being fully drained before recharging. The yellow top can be charged constantly but can handle the deep drains at the same time.

Quick Reply: big 3