Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Built a New Subwoofer Box

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough
Default Built a New Subwoofer Box

Well, I finally decided that I needed a bit more room in the cargo area and my dual subs took up the entire width of the cargo area. So I built a new box that fits over the passenger side wheel well.

First, I started with 2 2'x4' sheets of 1/2" MDF board from Home Depot. After figuring out how I wanted the box to look in the end, loads of measuring, cutting, and more measuring and cutting ensued.

Here are the pictures of the build and then end result (I know the 10" sub is a bit small but I built the box big enough for a 12" as soon as the cash rolls in )!

P.S. Does anyone know of a good carpet for covering these boxes? The Walmart carpet didn't work out so well haha.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Starting Member
blue_zr2 is on a distinguished road

got to a fabric store to get the carpet

Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 AM

I'll have to look into it when I go home for the summer, there aren't any real fabric stores around me. Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I really like that box... how does it sound?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I used parts-express.com for carpet. It was pretty cheap and they had a variety of colors. I made a similar box with a cutout for the wheel hump

Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
I really like that box... how does it sound?
IMO, it actually sounds much better than the two 10"s that I had before. I think the size of the box is much better for this specific sub, and it should be good for the 12" I'm looking at buying.

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
I used parts-express.com for carpet. It was pretty cheap and they had a variety of colors. I made a similar box with a cutout for the wheel hump
How did the carpet stretch? Did you have to cut out individual pieces of carpet for each side of the box? I love parts express, the sub in the picture, speaker terminals, wiring, and a bunch of other stuff has come from there. Oh, and by the way, the amp on the front of your box isn't hooked to anything...

Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I didn't stretch the carpet at all but it is one piece. I followed some youtube video on how to wrap the carpet with one piece and it turned out pretty well for my first time. Some areas of the box look pretty bad but luckily the (now connected ) amps cover those areas. I'm planning on building a new box soon to reclaim the cargo space.

I think they offer a version of their carpet with latex underneath that helps it stay intact as it stretches. Mine was just the plain carpet though

Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Nice job on the build of that enclosure. It looks fantastic. What 12 are you planning on replacing that with? I agree on PE for the carpet. It does stretch fairly well without tearing or thinning very badly at all for the price. The carpet on the amp rack on the build in my van is the PE stuff and it did great with all the rounded edges and corners. I would recommend using a good brush on type contact cement to apply it with as well. Holds up much better than the spray on glues/adhesives in my experience.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:52 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

Lol it was a nightmare for me to try and carpet my old box lol glue and staples eberywhere! Haha

Old 04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
Lol it was a nightmare for me to try and carpet my old box lol glue and staples eberywhere! Haha

LOL, been there done that, many times!! To be honest, not a single staple was used on the installation in the van, it was all cement. It co-operated very well, this time. LOL

Quick Reply: Built a New Subwoofer Box