Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Cardboard in place of dash speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010 | 01:40 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

I have dash speakers in my 04 and i'm not fully loaded nor do i have the upgraded radio. So, who knows... i want to see the wonderful cardboard GM passed off as speakers

Old 07-19-2010 | 12:33 PM
DarkPhantom27 is on a distinguished road

I too last night saw the same thing and fixed that problem. I installed a 4 inch (dodge shadow speaker) on the drivers side and a 3 inch (Hyundai Excel speaker) on the passenger side, wired to the front door speakers ie at the radio.

My thinking is that they use the 95-97 dashes in the s-10 pick up as well, why make 2 different dashes for the same 2 vehicles, my guess is that ( owned a 95 s-10 pick up) the pick up has the dash speakers but no rears (my guess no room). When they used the same dash in the blazers they figured you don't need dash speakers when u have door and rear ones.... but in the newer blazers they installed the tweeters to give the vehicle a better audio feel (they do get reviewed by that in the Consumer Reports).

Old 07-19-2010 | 04:39 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I've gotta see this.

Old 07-20-2010 | 10:44 AM
DarkPhantom27 is on a distinguished road

Well when I found it I told my wife (since I bought the truck for her), I have good news and bad news, she said I don't do bad, so I said good news is the speakers in the dash is not causing the static, she asked whats the bad news i said there are no speakers in the dash..... Her face was priceless.

Old 07-21-2010 | 02:02 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

^ I bet that was a look to remember!

I don't know why the 2nd gen pickups wouldn't have room for rear speakers. I think my dads old 91 s10 pickup had either 4x10's or 6x10's (odd long speakers) in the rear. Cause I remember him not wanting to find the odd shaped speaker and just got some 6x9's in boxes and laid them behind the bench seat on the floor. Then agian maybe it didn't have factory speakers and I'm just mistaken. This was about when I was 8 or 9 when he did this and I'm 24 now so, yeah my memory isn't great.

The cardboard in the dash for speakers makes me think of ways GM sometimes cuts cornors with thier builds. Like how the first gen s10 blazers used the same design frames as the fullsize, so much so that they had the brackets and holes to mount the starter to the frame and a place to mount the steering stabilizer. Even though the starter isn't mounted thier on the s series and none of them had a steering stabilizer factory or as a factory option.

Old 07-23-2010 | 03:11 PM
Beginning Member
mb6790 is on a distinguished road

"Well when I found it I told my wife (since I bought the truck for her), I have good news and bad news, she said I don't do bad, so I said good news is the speakers in the dash is not causing the static, she asked whats the bad news i said there are no speakers in the dash..... Her face was priceless."

Hahahahah!

Old 07-24-2010 | 12:41 AM
BF Veteran

well, my mom's envoy never sounded right to me.. it always sounded empty in the front right. i opened the dash where the speaker is supposed to be... the right dash was disconnected. that was a good one.

not as good as our trucks but good enough to make me laugh

Old 07-24-2010 | 01:08 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

So you didn't just fade the sound to the front right and notice no sound was coming from that speaker?Just jokin' Good thing it was just disconected. The envoys are nice lookin rides. How long till she gets some JL love? At least some door/dash speakers if not a sub.

I love automotive quirks like the cardboard speakers. Funny what things get approved by R&D sometimes. I always liked what Cedric the Entertainer said.
"We can build a craft that can handle going through the heat of the atmosphere and the pressure of outer space, but we can't build a 80's Cadilac deville that the bumper don't fall off of."

Old 07-24-2010 | 10:05 AM
BF Veteran

haha, no, mom's envoy won't be touched. hopefully it'll be going away soon and she'll get a newer car.The envoy is a great car but it has its problems.

Well, off to go play with my niece and puppy

Old 03-14-2011 | 08:44 PM
billy14513 is on a distinguished road
Default wheres the wires?

i have a 95 s10 n i had a door speaker out on the passenger side n assumed i had 2 dash speakers out n when i took the dash screens out i found those stupid cardboard things. now can some one tell me where to find the wires i need to wire speakers in there?

Quick Reply: Cardboard in place of dash speakers