Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

CB radio's Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:30 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

I love having a Cb for 2 reasons. 1, find out from truckers why theres a trafic jam. 2, when wheeling on trails or in not realy leagal places, you can get information fast.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:02 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by pj5454302
I love having a Cb for 2 reasons. 1, find out from truckers why theres a trafic jam. 2, when wheeling on trails or in not realy leagal places, you can get information fast.
Careful man, illegal wheeling is almost as bad as street racing....

Old 07-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Beginning Member
CTYankee is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm in the same boat as the OP, trying to figure out what set-up I would like to get, and being new to the CB radio.

In a few days of research on the net and mining through here I guess I have narrowed it down to either the Cobra 29 WX NW ST Classic CB with NOAA Weather and NightWatch or the Cobra 18 WX ST II with SoundTracker® and NOAA Weather. Either one will have the Wilson 1000 antenna.

The use for the set-up is basically in the desert on solo trips when I am out and away from everybody else. Also when on group runs it seems most prefer a CB over the little hand-held FRS type radios.

I like the NOAA set-up on both for weather alerts, so I will know when to get out of washes! For me in order of importance is value, not the cost of the radio but get what I paid for and not regret it later. Then ease of use, I'm new to it. Ease of installation. And lastly looks, I am thinking of the BT version, just like the black body and blue lights, but don't really need the BT option as my stereo covers that. I guess for looks I could go with the chrome/black version of the 29 LTD, but it doesn't have the NOAA option. The 29s look to be massive in size compared to the 18, but after reading reviews and research, for a few dollars more it may be a better radio? So a 29 would be a bit more difficult to fit in the truck, but may be worth the size since it is better set-up?

I have seen in some other threads that the newer 29s may not be what they used to be, but isn't that the trend?

I guess from the experts if I could get opinions on either radio meeting my needs as a new operator/user. Also is the antenna a decent one for either set-up? I was going to get a roof mount version and put it somewhere up top near the roof rack.

I do have a question on installing the radio. Can it be installed somewhere out the way for the most part, and have a microphone that controls the most used funtions w/o giving up any of the power/clarity of the radio?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by R3MiX
I run a cobra 19. its a reasonably small one. has PA (public address) capability also. Which means I can hook up a speaker to it, and yell at people outside
i ran one of those for a while. i now got a little fuzzbuster which is probably crappier then anything. but i usually only need to talk to a truck 40 feet in front of me so it works fine

Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 PM
BF Veteran

Reviving dead threads... So i just sold my ram air hood.... so I got 250 to play with... I am looking now at the Cobra 29 with Bluetooth and maybe a 4' firestick with a door jamb mount...

Old 07-02-2010, 02:37 PM
1sexyblzr is on a distinguished road

Do you have to have a CB to have a PA? Or can you just buy a PA? Being I wouldn't use the CB only the PA just to yell at people lol

Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Cobra 29 LTD Classic... love it. 130 bucks well spent.

Plus the Wilson "Lil Wil" antenna which ran 60 bucks

Old 07-02-2010, 05:17 PM
BF Veteran

Ok, on a side note.... To power the CB, One would run the ground to the battery and then the power through a fuse to the cigarette lighter? Just curious about the hardwiring... Vortec... where did you mount it?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:29 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I put mine where the tape player was. I think I have my cb radio power tied in with the head unit and same with the ground.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:05 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wlorton
Ok, on a side note.... To power the CB, One would run the ground to the battery and then the power through a fuse to the cigarette lighter? Just curious about the hardwiring... Vortec... where did you mount it?

Actually, I went to walmart and bought the cigarette lighter extension with a negative and positive wire and connected them directly to the cb wires.. plug and play! I can get a pic of the connection if you want.

Quick Reply: CB radio's Suggestions