Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

CB very staticy

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road
Default CB very staticy

I have the cobra 19 cb in my blazer and with the truck off I can hear people clearly but with it on there is more static and with it running I can barely make out or even here people. The power is taped into the power plug wire before the connector and its grounded to my steering column bolt where my leds and switch are grounded. Any ideas what can make it better?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Do you have a "squelch" button or dial on your CB? Play with that and you should be able to get to a point where there is no static at all. Also, do you have a whip? Where is it mounted if so?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

I don't think the squelch **** is gonna fix his issue. Sounds to me like the alternator creating "noise" in the system similar to what you can also get with car audio equipment with a "noisy" ground. Does it get even worse if you turn on for example the head lights? If you rev the motor does the sound change accordingly? Try powering & grounding it where your OEM radio is grounded. You could also try a ground loop protector.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:37 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I missed the part where he has it hard wired in...I didn't read far enough

Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Yea adjusting the squelch doesnt help. I haven't noticed it get to much worse if I rev it. Maybe Ill rip my dash apart and ground it where the stereo is grounded. Im hoping it will fix it because the way it works while driving is pretty pointless.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

So it is worse when you start the truck & drive it? I would describe it as a whiney, static sound. If so, I would definitly say it's a grounding issue. If the alternator is working hard, it will sound worse, like if you had your high beams on, wipers, etc.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 PM
BF Veteran

Taking this a bit off topic, but I'm curious to know...
The actual CB units don't have a plug or anything on them? you have to hard wire them into a power source? I'm just curious since my CB is a handheld, so I have it plugged into one of the charger ports.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Yea with everything off cb works great but when started it gets staticy and whiney. I'll have to find a better ground I guess.

Originally Posted by Sisk
Taking this a bit off topic, but I'm curious to know...
The actual CB units don't have a plug or anything on them? you have to hard wire them into a power source? I'm just curious since my CB is a handheld, so I have it plugged into one of the charger ports.
Yea you have to hard wire them or they make adapters that you can plug into your cigarette lighter power plug.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

wire your CB up directly to your battery should take care of that noise

Last edited by Biohazed; 03-12-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:54 AM
radiokid is on a distinguished road

Do not plug it into the lighter.

Get your self a capacitor and put it in line.