Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Cluster question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Beginning Member
wolv2401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cluster question...

Does anyone know if the mileage is stored in the cluster or in the computer of the vehicle in a 98 chevy blazer? When I bought my blazer, I had the motor swapped out right away for one that only has 55k on it. However, my cluster reads 165k.

Please let me know, since I still have access to the cluster that was in the vehicle my motor came out of.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:52 AM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cluster question...

Its stored in the computer.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter that the motor only has 55k miles, the rest of the vehicle still has 165k miles. To tamper with the mileage is illegal.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Beginning Member

haha funny. what would you say if I told you that I rebuilt the entire frame & body, as well and overhauled the entire suspension system? The only thing left that is still original is the little metal engraved plate that has the VIN. It really isn't the same vehicle now but oh well, some people think they know everything....\

nofear, thanks for the help, though. It is much appreciated.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Starting Member
Loud_01_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i wouldn't mess with it. or is it that important?

Old 01-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Like I stated in another thread, it DOES NOT MATTER!!! When I'm done with the frame off restoration on my Chevelle, it will still have over 100k miles on it. Even with the custom dash and gauges I will be installing, I WILL be filing an odometer discrepancy with the DMV because you do not want to know the consequences if you don't. And I don't plan on selling that car ever. It just isn't worth the risk.

Plain and simple. It is ILLEGAL! Good luck if you ever sell it. But I guess you are so short sighted that it really doesn't matter. Play it down all you like, but don't come cryin' here WHEN you get caught.

Oh, nice stab... "Some people think they know everything..." Right. Whatever... Maybe it's just that you don't know enough.

And here's some information for you to chew on:
US CODE - TITLE 49 - SUBTITLE VI - PART C - CHAPTER 327 - ODOMETERS - gpo.gov

Also: Office Of Odometer Fraud Investigations - NHTSA.gov

All that I could find on VA's DMV website was the Odometer Disclosure Statement... But said form does reference the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act of 1972 which has been amended a few times since its inception and leads back to the first link I posted above.

But hey, what do I know...

Old 01-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Beginning Member

I think you know a little too much...and blew it all out of proportion...i was merely curious on how it all worked. The main reason why I asked relates to another post I made that nobody responded to. It involved the shifter display problem I am having in that same cluster.

https://blazerforum.com/m_56696/tm.htm

I figured that if the mileage was stored in the cluster, then my shifter display issue might also be in the cluster and that replacing it would solve the problem. I am merely thinking of all the possibilities since nobody seemed to have any suggestions. Now that I know the mileage is stored in the brain, so will the display info.

Anyways, I think I have wasted too much time on this anyhow.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 AM
Administrator

I didn't blow anything out of proportion. I was simply stating that it didn't matter if the motor was brand new, tampering with the odometer reading is still illegal. You implied that you wanted to change the odometer by swapping the cluster if the cluster is where the mileage was stored. My responsibility is to the forum and the information here-in. Anything illegal in nature will be called out as such.

I am sorry that you haven't gotten any responses in your other thread. I will respond now with my thoughts. I do hope that you get it fixed.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Beginning Member

I know what you're tryin to say. Its just that I have noticed that responses to posts are more common with more general posts, such as a question about mileage that I have seen many many people talkin about. I wanted to best relate my main issue, the shifter display, with something that people have responded to before, and see what I can find out from there.

No worries, i will keep looking through here and google to find out what i gotta do. This display is really starting to **** me off though, but I don't know enough to figure it out yet.