Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Considering a sub for the blazer.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 PM
calgsblaza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering a sub for the blazer.

I've been toying with the idea of installing a sub in the blazer but I have a couple of concerns about it. First of all I have the steering wheel controls for my stock system and they are something I do not want to lose. I also don't want to sacrafice to much trunk space as I frequently fold down the seats and hall things like ski's snowboards luggage e.t.c. I would like to know if there is a system that would allow an aftermarket deck to be controlled by the steering wheel controls. Also I would like to hear peoples suggestions for optimizing the trunk space.

Thanks,

Nate

Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 PM
SmokeU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Considering a sub for the blazer.

dunno about the controls but if you happen to get a box with 2 12" subs in it then forget about space in the rear...

takes up the whole entire back of my ZR2

Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

One ten or twelve is all you need to fill the lows... anything more will sound silly and take up WAY too much space. As for the sterring wheel controls, there are adapters all over the place that will allow use of the controls with an aftermarket HU. A good place to start with A/V is crutchfield. Good luck

Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ik theres some decks that have the option to be wired to ur steering wheel controls thru the factory harness but i'm not sure which ones. and a 10" or 12" sub will do u fine and not take up much space. plus u can leave extra wire so that u have the freedom of moving it around. i have my 2 12"s in the back and the spare on the inside side and i have about a 1/4 of the space left for other stuff. i did leave enough wire so i can fold down the seats and move the subs forwards or all the way back.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

For the steering wheel controls, the units from pac-audio are the best. Check when looking into decks if they have a wired remote control lead, some do. if they do, look into the adaptor that is specific to that brand.

Not too bad to hookup, if you do the universal, its a PITA. Let me know if you need help on this. Ive done a bunch of them, and added controls to cars without as well.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Starting Member
jimbosv650 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's some options for retaining your factory controls:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/p...steering+wheel

As far as trunk space, I had a single 10 in a sealed box and it took up very little space. The two 15's I have now on the other hand...

Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

sundown is coming out with a nice 8" driver that did like a 140 on a proto 2000d@4ohms

presale price is $48 each i belive

and after MSRP will be under $100

I should mention the 140ish was done in a 4th order bandpass....im not sure what the vehicle was.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:58 PM
calgsblaza is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I am going to have to do some shopping now

Old 03-08-2008, 06:26 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

I just intalled my new infinity kappa 12, and let me tell you that it is one of the most musical subs i have ever heard. I had high expectations, but DAMN, this sub is great. It's in only ~1 cube, and running off 300w. Its not a loud sub, but if you actually like to listen to music it is on the same level as an Image dynamics sub (maybe better).

Old 03-09-2008, 02:45 PM
ChevyBoy413 is an unknown quantity at this point

first for the steering wheel controls....everything is in the factory harness so go to advance auto parts or autozone and pick up a wiring harness for the radio if u plan to change it...if u keep the factory radio they make a box with RCAs u have to splice into the factory wires...its like $15-$20 for that but u wont get a good quality out of it...second...doesnt matter the size of the subs...its the watts and ohms...and what u plan on having for sound...if u want a nice clean sound 2 10"s or 1 12" in bandpass boxes...or u can do 2 12"s for a way better sound...some brands are Memphis, MA Audio, JL Audio, JBL, and INIFITY...those are all GREAT subs....so whatever u choose make sure they tune it the right way or else ull be dissapointed

Quick Reply: Considering a sub for the blazer.