Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Couple Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member
Heffty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Couple Install Questions

I'm a man on a budget. What I'd like to do in my 99' 2dr Blazer is replace all factory speakers with alpine speakers, install alpine deck (w/usb/aux), install alpine power pack, and hook up a alpine lat sub that I own right now. I went to Visions in Calgary today to get it all priced out and it was $992 for everything.

Of course, I can't decide whether to do it or not and I just don't have $1000 to blow right now.

The other route I was thinking about was just to replace the factory speakers (because they are blown). So I'd just have the factory deck and some newer speakers. I'm curious to know what the factory speaker outputs.

I'm also curious to know how easy/hard it is to install the speakers myself. I've read through these forums and found bits and peices about taking the paneling off. But I have not really read anything concrete about it. So...for those of you who have worked with the panels before...can you please let me know what I'm up against, possibly with a few details?

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

Replacing the door speakers are easy. If you have never taken off door panels before, I would recommend buying new clips so the door doesn't rattle once you get it back together. I have 6.5 TypeR coaxials in the rear doors and I had to take a dremel to the inside of the panel to keep the speaker surround from hitting the panel. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

Also, shop online for stereo components. I just priced out 2 sets of TypeR 6.5 coax, a 9887 HU, and the power pack for about $590 on woofersetc.com. But Im not certain the 2doors have the same speaker size as the 4doors. Which Alpine speakers are you looking at?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Beginning Member

I don't have rear doors, it's only a 2dr. Where can I buy the clips you are talking about?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Basically if you replace the stock speakers first you will be more impressed than if you just replaced the deck.... All stock speakers are kinda crappy, and once you do get a headunit, your already replaced speakers will sound that much sweeeeeeter

Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Beginning Member

What kind of clips do I need for the door panels? Where can I buy them in Canada?

Old 05-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about in Canada, but around here, just about any auto parts store has interior panel clips. They aren't very expensive, and well worth replacing. Keeps the panels tight.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Beginning Member

Well luckily, after I replaced my door speakers today the panels aren't rattling.

I didn't get to the 6x9's though. Do I need to take the seat beat off the paneling to get back to them?

I bought some used 4x6's off kijiji for $30 and one of them is blown. Pretty pissed about that. The rest of the speakers I bought of kijiji too but they were still in the plastic in the box. I wish the world were a better place most days.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Beginning Member

So yeah...still waiting to hear about that seat belt. Do I need to take it off to get the panel off in order to access the 6x9's?

Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Starting Member
jmaynard is on a distinguished road

You might not have to, but the job is a LOT easier if you do. Spend the money on the Torx bit to get the seat belt anchors off. It'll save you at least twice that much in aggravation.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did door speakers and rear panel speakers recently in a ZR2. I had to remove the seat belt anchor like jmaynard said, remove the garment hanger hook, and open the pop out glass if you have it. Then you should be able to pull and tug the panel to get it to wriggle free and gain acess to the speakers.