Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

custom install door speakers first gen.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road
Default custom install door speakers first gen.

I'm putting speakers in my doors on my 89 s10 blazer. I've examined and researched and have found 2 places to install them. Has anyone ever removed the map pocket with any success? I thought about cutting it off but the panels are brand new and I don't want to ruin them. Anyone here put door speakers in their first Gen? Where and how did you do it?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You can remove the map pocket, if you remove the door panel, on the back side there are plastic tabs on the back side that will remove that whole bottom section.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Starting Member

But how would it look with me cutting it off? I'm sure there would be indentions or something to that effect and I've tried the whole recarpeting thing before and it went horrible.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:41 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

i do not see why you would cut it off when you can much more easily remove it from the back?
Interactive Custom Door Panels - S-10 Forum

Old 04-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Starting Member

Do you know how he got the area where the map pocket was to look that smooth? I had a little problem following that part. I tried contacting him with no success.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 PM
BF Veteran

1/4" hard board.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Starting Member

So you have to add it where the pocket was? How did he mount them together? Can you find that at a hardware store?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Yes you can just remove the entire lower section with the map pocket. I used t-nuts and bolted mine on. I used 1/4" hard board and fiberglassed the door pods. I guess you could glue the hard board to the door panel if you wanted. If you added speakers then make sure that they attached directly to steel on the door.

Name:  pods13.jpg
Views: 7082
Size:  122.9 KB

Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Starting Member

Where did you get the hardboard from? That looks really good. I've never used fiberglass before, is it hard to use? I'm also wondering how you keep the wires you ran to the speakers loose enough to open and shut door? I've got a pretty good idea on it but it's always nice to be reassured. Thank ya'll so much for the help guys,this sight is a life saver.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Once the wire is ran through the door boot, it should be fine. I left enough slack inside the door to install/remove the speakers. The hard board came from home depot.

Quick Reply: custom install door speakers first gen.