Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

custom sub box building

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default custom sub box building

what is the proper way to put a fiberglass facia on a wooden sub box? just build the box and lay fiberglass over the front?

Old 03-14-2006, 03:30 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: custom sub box building

facia?

Old 03-14-2006, 03:57 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Facia! LOL!

What are you trying to build? A bandpass?

Plexiglass is good for displaying the woofers. The best soundingboxes are sealed. IMO. I've owned ported, bandpasses, bass tubes, and some other wacky sh*t. They require more power but the trade off is less license plate/trunklid rattle and accurate sound reproduction.

Go all out and build a bandpass box entirely of plexiglass. Don't forget to install a neon/LED ring around the subs. Then hook them up so it "dances" with the music.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:10 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife

Facia! LOL!

What are you trying to build? A bandpass?

Plexiglass is good for displaying the woofers. The best soundingboxes are sealed. IMO. I've owned ported, bandpasses, bass tubes, and some other wacky sh*t. They require more power but the trade off is less license plate/trunklid rattle and accurate sound reproduction.

Go all out and build a bandpass box entirely of plexiglass. Don't forget to install a neon/LED ring around the subs. Then hook them up so it "dances" with the music.
lol, that was a good laugh. almost any type of box can sound good and be accuate. sealed is just the easiest to achieve decent sq. but a ported or bandpass can be designed to sound waaaay better than any sealed. and the advantage of ported and bandpass are that they will get much louder if designed right.

mow back to the original topic. google fiberglassin, theres tons of tutorials. but basically you just set up the shape with little pieces of wood or straws or something. then you cover it all TIGHTLY with some type of cloth and staple it town. then apply a layer of resin. then do the layers of mat and resin. you need to do about 7 prolly. just make sure you dont have any air bubbles in it or it will be weak

Old 03-14-2006, 10:26 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

lol there wont be any bandpass box going in my truck...geez. maybe i used the wrong term.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:38 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

OK,
I haven't had any systems w/ more than two transducers. I didn't find any satisfaction w/ the enclosures stated above.
Anyone ever own a bass shaker?

Old 03-14-2006, 08:09 PM
91_4_Door is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife

OK,
I haven't had any systems w/ more than two transducers. I didn't find any satisfaction w/ the enclosures stated above.
Anyone ever own a bass shaker?

No, but i did stay in a holiday inn express last night!!! LOL

Old 03-14-2006, 08:50 PM
BF Veteran

ehhh...ill stick with a basic wooden box. lol

Old 03-15-2006, 07:58 PM
audiophyl is an unknown quantity at this point

Build your box out of fiberglass, it's actually fairly easy, just time consuming!!!

Build the 5 sides of your box and then make a ring for each of your subs. This ring is where you will mount the subs, so it should be minimum of .75" mdf and should be approx 1.5-2" in width. Build some supports and place the rings where you want the subs.

Now, go get some fleece and staple it around the front of the box. Start glassing it with resin and then finish it off with some duraglass. Wet sand the daylights out of it, get it painted and then finish the back of the box and install.

Hope this helps!!!