Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

custome sub box ported vs. sealed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:47 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default custome sub box ported vs. sealed

im looking to make a custom sub box. I dont know anything about boxes so if someone could kelp me out it would be great. I plan on making an U-shaped box that goes around the the back of my blazer to save some space. I plan on mounting my amp along the back seats which would be the bottom of the U. The along the sides would be the 2 subs angled up. Kinda confusing with out a pic. Basicaly what i need to know is the differense between ported and sealed. I also dont have a clue about size and frequency and what size port if i need one. if anyone could answer any of my questions im sure it will help me out alot.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:06 AM
splblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: custome sub box ported vs. sealed

well i think i can help you out.. u defenatly want a ported box. they move more air and its more efficent for the wooffer's. most daily drivers are tuned to around 35-40 hz or they should be. in my opinion. the port size is how u tune the box to get the 35-40 hz by changing the internal volume of the box. you will want the woofers fireing upwards with the port twards the back hatch. the woofers u have will determin the cubic foot the box needs then the tuning from the port to get the hz were they need to be. if u have any more q's just let me know

Old 07-08-2008, 12:26 AM

ok these are what i have http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840027797 i noticed that it recommends a sealed box.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 AM

yea they will recomend a sealed because u can put more power to them in a seald box. but i still think a ported box will be better. sealed boxxes aer ok if your listening to rock, and anything that needs tight bass. it would probly be ok in a sealed box. i dont know how much time or money u want to invest in it. if your not good with a saw build a sealed box.:P

Old 07-08-2008, 12:43 AM

im good with woodworking and i have the time. But i do listen to a little rock

Old 07-08-2008, 12:48 AM

then just stick with the factory specs for a sealed box it should still sound good. make sure to make a devider in the box to seperate the woofers from one another. and with it being sealed it dosent matter how the wooffers are faced al tho facing twards the back hatch would probly be the best

Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 AM

ok ill probably go with my original plan then. thanks for you help

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM

what is a good material to make the box out of?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Big Frost is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of people use MDF, its sturdy, but idk a about making it Ushaped...youll probably have to have some of the inside box not actually used as sub airspace...idk how youd cover rounded corneres with that stuff...

Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

You can "bend" mdf with a little bit of time and skill and creativity.
Take your table saw set the blade depthso you don't cut right through the mdf now make cutsabout every 1/2-3/4 of an inch use a scrap piece to practicetrial and error for best results you should have an end result like this

and you can see how it bends
now when I do this I bend it over the other way and fill in the grooves with kitty hair to give it strength and sand until it is smoothed out.

Quick Reply: custome sub box ported vs. sealed