Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

In dash tv/ overhead console gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Pee_Beds is on a distinguished road
Default In dash tv/ overhead console gauges

I'm not very good at taking pics while I'm working so this isn't a build thread. It's a built thread!

First up, my tv.

I was bummed out when my $70 ebay head unit purchase was a bust. (flip face motor worn out). So I sat on it for a night and then the next morning purchased a pioneer unit without navigation. (If I wanted something in the truck to tell me where to go I'd get a wife).

Along with the head unit I bought the radio delete 'cubby', harness adapter and the almost color match center insert. With the stock radio, cassette player/equalizer and 'brain box' neatly removed and tucked away on came the installation.

It was pretty straight forward, however there is a ton of wires coming out of this thing. The radio receiver for the unit is in a remote location by the ecm. I zip-tied and heatshrinked all the wires not in use and carefully pulled them out of the way as I inserted the unit. It took about 5 complete in and outs before it was in place for good. As again it is a very tight fit. I'm certain the electronics store would have told me it couldn't be done.

I'm also running a four channel amp. the rear outputs are channelled to the rear 6x9's. I went to the wreckers and cut some connectors out so I could plug and play into mine without hacking. The front output of the amp is bridged for a 10" Pioneer sub in a small sealed box. I ran the rear and sub rca's down the left side of the truck while the power cables are run down the right. It took some time to remove all the interference buzz but it's gone and hasn't been back. It all sounds quite nice.

The gauges were a lot more work than I had anticipated.

I made a harness of wires I taped to the A pillar and ran under the headliner to the overhead console. The feed wires from the gauges run uncut through an existing grommet in the firewall and skirt the engine. I picked up the oil pressure by teeing the original sending unit. There wasn't very much room under the dist cap back there.

The coolant sender taps into an unused hole in the passenger cylinder head between cylinders 6&8. Both are electric.

I tied the bulbs into the instrument light dimmer switch and installed some green covers to mimic the dash. I am pleased with the result even though I didn't achieve the angle towards me I was hoping for but I can read them fine without having to duck. Here they are.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Shotgunn99 is on a distinguished road

purdy=]

Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I like the gauge's. Pretty sweet idea!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:56 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

A very neat job! Well done.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Pee_Beds is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

looks awsome dude...i love 1st gen interiors

Old 04-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jagblazer01
looks awsome dude...i love 1st gen interiors
I agree, looks great! Fullsize interiors offer many nice places to put things.