Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

dbleon build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:07 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dbleon build thread

So i went ahead and gave it a shot... not too hard. I just copied the side panels for now. I have to wait to get components before fabbing up the rings and finishing it. Couple questions if I may:

How are rings usaually attached? Hot glue? Silicone?
Also can anyone reccomend a budget 6.5 component set? To be honest the only compnents I have ever heard were infinity kappa's. They were very nice. Im looking to spend under $150. I'm looking for a very warm smooth sound with GOOD midbass.

Here are some pics of the glass job.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: My first time fiberglassing...

From a non-fiberglasser's standpoint, those look pretty great!! Was it easier or more difficult than expected?

Old 02-24-2008, 04:56 PM

It was actaully much easier than expected. The hard part was wrapping the glass sheets tightly around the panels. Hard to get it tight. They came out really sloppy at first, but a few minutes with a cutoff wheel and a die grinder straightened them right up.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

One way I've found to get the glass mat to form well is to cover the panel with masking tape, then spray it with glue. I use the same glue I use for carpeting sub boxes. I've found it works really well for panels with lots of contours, or even upside down. Once you get the first layer down, and let it cure you can take it out and add more layers if you need for strength. I did that when I glassed in the sub box in my wife's Mazda, and it formed amazingly well. It looked better than if the factory put it there. If I can find the pics, I'll post them.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:25 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

good job fora first time. Few tips for the future. Use the matt that is made of strands, not the woven stuff. Tear the sheet into smaller pieces. cover the panel you want to FG with painters tape and use mold release or car wax to coat the tape. Apply the pieces of glass over the wax with the resin using a 2" paint brush and dab the resin into the matting. dabbing the resin will allow you to mold the glass to the piece and helps ensure that the resin gets absorbed into the glass better. When the resin hardens, remove the FG piece from the original. The wax will help in this part since the glass doesnt adhere to the wax.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: bobditts

good job fora first time. Few tips for the future. Use the matt that is made of strands, not the woven stuff. Tear the sheet into smaller pieces. cover the panel you want to FG with painters tape and use mold release or car wax to coat the tape. Apply the pieces of glass over the wax with the resin using a 2" paint brush and dab the resin into the matting. dabbing the resin will allow you to mold the glass to the piece and helps ensure that the resin gets absorbed into the glass better. When the resin hardens, remove the FG piece from the original. The wax will help in this part since the glass doesnt adhere to the wax.
I just used al foil and it worked well... came off easy. I dont know what kind of matt your talking about, i just used the bondo brand. And i did use (and ruin, hehe) a paintbrush ...

Thanks for the advice, its a learning process... I'll post pics as the progress is made. But im still in search of some decent compnonets. Any advice?

Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

whats your budget. here is the matt im talking about. As you can see it has hairs in it going every which direction.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...Fiberglass+Mat

this is the stuff not to use (unless you are making a surfboard or anyhting else with flat smooth surfaces.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...oth+-+10+Ounce

Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 PM

This is what i used... same stuff just bondo brand. My price range for comps. is under 150.. Looking for the smoothest, warmest set for that price...

Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Lookin good so far!! Look forward to the end result!!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:00 PM

A little progress today... built the baffles. Hopefully next weekend the final fiber glassing will start.

Quick Reply: dbleon build thread