Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Double Din Install, Tonight! ?'s After searching....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 PM
JST4SHO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Double Din Install, Tonight! ?'s After searching....

Im putting a Jensen VM9424 double din in my 04 And have found conflicting wire schematics for the radio and accessory wires. Some say after 01-02 it changed?

Also will I still be able to have the radio play after you shut the truck off? Like it does factory until you exit?

Has anyone had any experience mounting a GPS antenna up under the dash as far as it will go?

Any other things I should look out for?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

i have an 01, and mine still plays while its shutoff. I doubt they changed anything about the ways the radios were wired. Off topic, but what size are your rims, and where did you get your bull bar =D

Old 02-24-2011, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

if I were you I'd check the crutchfield wiring harness for the 04 and see if its any different.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

playing after the truck is off is just a relay on the switched power. It will still work on the aftermarket headunit just like the factory radio did.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

my truck plays no problem after its turned off. i too have an 04. like vortec said, if it doesn't, its just a relay.

the only experience i have with gps antennae is my brothers avalanche. problem being is where he wanted it mounted. we put it under the dash right next to the xm antenna. if he drives a certain way, he loses reception because of the roof blocking it and such.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the replies...
Well started tonight and its all still apart and I really wanted to play with it..

The OE radio mounts are built into the radio so we cannot re-use them....
There is no other way to mount with supplied metal piece that Jensen gave with it. So im hoping a single din or any install kit for my truck will have this bracket I need?? Theres srews holding in the OE and little nubs that line up with it?

The GPS antenna is magnetic and I think I found a spot under the dash to mount it...My buddy helping me thinks that it has to be on something metal to work??

My sub an Infinity 10" self powered through us a snag as we need to now run RCA'S to it. Allthough I think we have the wireing situation figured. Thanks for the info as always guys.

Matt92- Those wheels were ADR Revolvers 18x9.5 and the bars a Westin Ebay find, I have seen some new style Bull bars with like a skid plate/extra tubeing that looks cool somewhere.

Last edited by JST4SHO; 02-24-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Answer Matt92
Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

your radio came with factory RDS correct? if so you should just be able to get a double din dash kit and call it a day

Old 02-25-2011, 07:21 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I know during the '02 model year they changed over to a different radio harness. The newer harness plug is a solid square. I had that issue when I ordered a new radio for my last Blazer. I think the RDS equipped Blazers used the different harness. I don't think you'll have a problem with the radio still playing after you remove the key. It's still sending voltage to the radio so that shouldn't change.

However, You may lose the chimes. I think '03+ used the door speakers for the chime.

Last edited by cbr995; 02-25-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 PM

Well I finally figured it all out and got her in and Its amazing. For the trouble and cost this thing is a great upgrade to vehicles such as ours, and so far im impressed with Jensen.
We got the right harness which is why I was confused as to acc. because they didnt list the changes after 2002 in the colors and connectors on the back of the radio.
We had to cut out a piece inside the dash, a tab which the OE radio kind of goes into, I kept calling it a nipple... After that it was smooth a $12 dd install kit gave up its mounting brackets as the OE's are built into the radio.
Shoved the GPS under the dash and we connected everything to test and it was all working great.
But, the truck would not idle it would just did after a start. We had the neg of the batt. So I gave it a moment and she seems good to go now. Anyone ever experience that?

Thanks For all the responses as always people!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I was looking at that Jensen unit, but wasn't sure about it, but you seem to like it. How are the ipod controls? and is the gps pretty good? I'd like to get a navigation unit for a decent price, I was looking at alpine and pioneer but I can't imagine paying $800+ on a radio...

Quick Reply: Double Din Install, Tonight! ?'s After searching....