Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Dual battery wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:13 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Quik
theres your problem using that junk product of a battery. For every 10 optima failures i hear i only hear one ac delco fail. My stocker in my silverado finally gave out after 7 yrs last year. not to shabby ive never heard of a optima lasting that long.

for what your wanting to do the parallel hook up will work for you
I will never use another delco. Its not that they aren't good quality its that they have very little reserve time. You leave the radio and the headlights on for an hour and is completely dead. Wont come close to starting the truck. My optima will last a few hours. Oh btw I work at a GM dealer and replace a delco battery almost every week.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Quik is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
I will never use another delco. Its not that they aren't good quality its that they have very little reserve time. You leave the radio and the headlights on for an hour and is completely dead. Wont come close to starting the truck. My optima will last a few hours. Oh btw I work at a GM dealer and replace a delco battery almost every week.
maybe you have a drain issue on your truck? ive been in drive ins where radio is on for a few hours no issues. However this is off topic from the orignal post.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Quik
my silverado has problably more load then many other ppls trucks unless they are a serious stereohead

i run a EWP which uses a 30amp fuse, i run twin 255 fuel pumps which both run at same time, i have 05 Efans, HIDs, 2 amp system, Meth pump. I have alot of draw and my battery is in the rear under my bed. i run the Fbody alternator and its only a 102 amp. I have no issues with drain or anything. I can be in staging lanes with key on and run my water pump and fans without much drain.

the biggest thing ppl over look is size of wire. you can only supply so much with small wire. youll never fully charge a battery properly with undersize wire. Factory wire is undersized to start with

absolutely on the wire gauge-especially with a relocated battery. but i wouldn't say the factory stuff is undersized to begin with, it's just not designed for anything extra to be asked of it.

while i'm not trying to start a pissing match with you, i wonder how the load of your electrical system (which would be running under the conditions you described) compares to the long drain the OP is having put on his while he is parked. while my Dart doesn't have a computer in it (more electrical drain) or a Methanol system, i do know where you're getting @ with the fuel pumps & efans.

he also doesn't mention how many lights he's running when this occurs, or a time frame.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Starting Member
Rogue is on a distinguished road

Just a thought and may look into this for my own use.

Has anyone ever used or thought of using a deep cycle battery as a secondary? These do not have the cranking power to start am engine but do have the capacity to run electrical items for long periods of time. Combined with an isolator, may do the trick.

Apologies if this has already been suggested....did`t read through the whole thread.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 PM

Please read through the threads before posting. I dont want to use an isolator also deep cycles are fine for starting. Thats what optimas are.

Now back on track. I think I have decided to use two big solenoids. One on each battery. I know i can wire it with two separate switches but I would like to be able to keep it on one toggle if possible. I think I can do it with a few relays but im not sure on how to wire them in. Any ideas

Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Summit Racing Dual Battery Control Harness

Maybe check out some pre-made kits and use that to figure out what parts and stuff to use? Maybe check the installation instructions?

I know you dont want to use separate switches..but what was wrong with the marine dual battery switch? Are you trying to stay inside the cab to switch (solenoids) as opposed to opening the hood to switch or where you mount that manual switch?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

not all optimas are deep cycle, the red tops are automotive batteries, the yellow tops are the deep cycle.

i run a red top in my lowrider does fine running my 2 12v compressors, i'm going to add a second one in the back though because the volts do drop if i play with the switches alot and run the compressors for awhile.
I'm just going to ground it to the chassis and connect my power wire to it and run it in parallel

Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by WolfPack
Summit Racing Dual Battery Control Harness

Maybe check out some pre-made kits and use that to figure out what parts and stuff to use? Maybe check the installation instructions?

I know you dont want to use separate switches..but what was wrong with the marine dual battery switch? Are you trying to stay inside the cab to switch (solenoids) as opposed to opening the hood to switch or where you mount that manual switch?
Yeah, I looked at a few kits including that one. They all seem to switch on/off the second battery. So basically Im doing the same thing but on each battery. I looked at those marine switches but I want something in the cab. Those would be to big and hard to hide and have it accessible. So I might just have to use two switches and make sure they dont both get turned off while driving.

Another question I had was how many amps does the solenoid have to be ratted to. i have a 145amp alt but I know im not drawing that many amps. Would an 80amp for each battery be good enough or do I need to go bigger?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:06 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

I have no advice for your particular question, however, your idea has sparked my interest. In the past, I have ran a dual battery set-up in one of my full size trucks, but they were both hooked up to totally seperate alternators. (One to operate the trucks standard operations and the other one ran all the lights, winch, stereo, c.b., etc.) My question is, what model of Blazer is this set-up going in and where are you planning on mounting the second battery? Just being curious.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 AM

Its going in a 99 2dr. Im mounting it in one of the side compartments.

Quick Reply: Dual battery wiring