Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Dual sub boxes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 AM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dual sub boxes

If youre going to pay for a box, pay someone to build one for you. Prefabricated boxes are only going to let you down...

Old 01-05-2008, 12:49 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: jagblazer01

i highly recommend you try building ur own box to fit the specs of the subs you have. My buddy put 2 12" pioneers in his girls car in a prefab ported box doing a little under their rated RMS and the subs burnt up. Just a thought to give ya
Yeah, I think I'll build my own box. So sealed is better? Also cheaper and less work probably.

ORIGINAL: cloak01ls

If youre going to pay for a box, pay someone to build one for you. Prefabricated boxes are only going to let you down...
I guess I'll build my own box, it can be a project that I can feel good about when it's complete. I used to be pretty good with building things out of wood. I haven't done it in a while.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: dimmuborgir6nik6

So sealed is better? Also cheaper and less work probably.
There is no better or worse when it comes to ported or sealed. Only a listening preference. Sealed will usually have the best sound quality. It will reproduce a wider range of requencies with a flater response...But, Ported has the ability to get twice as loud and reproduce the deep window-flexing bass notes that sealed box just cant...

It is easier to build a sealed box seing as how is just a simple 'box' and it will be roughly 1/2 the overall size of a ported enclosure. But if you are looking for ported sound, dont cut yourself short because its easier not to build it...

There are plenty of write-ups on the net on how to build an enclosure, and if need be i would be happy to walk you through the process...

Old 01-05-2008, 02:22 AM

That low bass window flexing sound is what I want out of the sub, so I guess it would be worth building the ported sub in the end.
I've found some write ups, but looking for some detailed diagrams. Overall, I don't think it should be too hard to build.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:20 AM
tonkpils is an unknown quantity at this point

what subs are you planning on using? you should choose a sub and see what its requirements are before you build a box. like how many cu ft per sub and tuning frequency. i had a guy on the ca forum sketch me up a plan and cut sheet for 10 bucks. all i got to do now is cut it and put it together. and i will be the first to tell ya pre fab boxes suck...lol

Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

most prefab ported box's are tuned in the 40's. at least the ones i saw....

Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM

IIRC you have two 12" Type-R's....If so heres a box for your blazer. 4.5 Cubic Feet Tuned @ 33Hz...

Enclosure Design

Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 AM

That's correct, and thank you for that great site. If I want the dimensions to be 36 wide and 16 high, I just change those 2 and the rest changes automatically, but it doesn't effect anything, right? Like it doesn't do anything bad?

Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 AM

yeah cahnging the dimensions shouldnt hurt anything...

Old 01-06-2008, 10:51 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

does anything special need to be done to the port?, i thought sparp edges wanted to be avoided....

Quick Reply: Dual sub boxes