Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Enclosure design ideas

Old 10-14-2008, 12:18 AM
NickoDaFsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Enclosure design ideas

Hey everyone! there is alot of audio talk in here but I was wondering if anyone has taken the time to discuss the different styles of enclosures that sound/work best in the back of our trucks (mine isa 97). I have a pair of IDQ12 D2's in a plain ol sealed box that i had in may last vehicle. Now that I have a little more room to play with I was wondering if anoyone has and better luck with a spacific angle or type of enclosure. I was thinking of going with a downfiring sealed but i'm sure there are many people around here that and alot of good ideas and alot of experiences that I would love to hear!

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Default RE: Enclosure design ideas

anyone...............

Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

there's never been a direct thread to discuss all the different types of enclosures because there are so many types out there. I mean you can go from standard slot port to aeros all the way to and 8th order in an extreme vehicle. The variables to what will work are different in each setup.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:02 PM

Thats cool I understand what you are saying. I guess what I was really hoping for was a thread where people would chime in with what they have and anything they have seen or heard that sounded good.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Well the nice thing is MDF isn't too expensive. Build a box listen to it and see how you like it. Then build another and compare. I have a pretty common setup subs up port back box for mine.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:03 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

If we get enough interest/input on it i will be more then happy to make a sticky for everyone to chime in on their experiencese with different enclosures

Old 11-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Well I tossed in my ID12's in my old sealed box. I tried it facing up back and forward. Up was the best by far. but Iam thinkinga nice angle reflecting off of the rear window would really make the location of the subs in the stage perfect. (Y) facing them down is something that I did is my extended cab s-10 with a pair of rockford 15's and it was a night and day difference in spl! I'm getting a little old for a pounder but I think i'll still give it a try with my Image Dynamics. They are so accurate in a sealed i just love them! Anyone have a down firing enclosure?

Old 11-02-2008, 04:16 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I have a sealed box firing up and it sounds fine to me. Then again, I've never competed at any spl/sql contests and I haven't listened to very many different setups.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Starting Member
brokenfish is an unknown quantity at this point

I am by far not a pro but I do have an idea I've been thinking of I think why a box facing up sounds better then sideways is because it gets the sound waves out of the cargo area better. I wanted to make a box to go back by the tailgate angling the sub towards the space above the back seats sending the sound waves more towards the passenger area. Let me know if this sounds like a plausable idea or if I will be taking up extra space for no reason.

FYI I have a 10" rockford p1 /w a 300w Logic amp nothing big or expensive but would like to get as much quality as possable out of what I got.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Beginning Member
in4lo is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: brokenfish

I am by far not a pro but I do have an idea I've been thinking of I think why a box facing up sounds better then sideways is because it gets the sound waves out of the cargo area better. I wanted to make a box to go back by the tailgate angling the sub towards the space above the back seats sending the sound waves more towards the passenger area. Let me know if this sounds like a plausable idea or if I will be taking up extra space for no reason.

FYI I have a 10" rockford p1 /w a 300w Logic amp nothing big or expensive but would like to get as much quality as possable out of what I got.
I think this would be pretty genius as far as clarity is concerned... facing them rearward seems to me to turn the sound into mush and it loses quite a bit of intricacy that way.

Of course, I listen to a lot of metal so clarity during insanely fast double bass runs is crucial to my ears.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Enclosure design ideas