Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Enclosure design ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:57 AM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Enclosure design ideas

ok so pretend the sub is a bouncy-ball launching bazooka.lol. no really though. (boucny ***** are my metaphorical equivalent to sound waves) you want the bouncy ball to hit b/t the driver and passenger headrests. angled up slightly towards the rear glass i've heard is a good way. which makes sense because glass is hard and is a low-transfer surface. so all the soundbounces upto the front.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:40 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

actually facing the woofers towards the rear allows the sound waves to roll off the back glass of the truck, around the roof and up to the windshield......it actually sounds much better like this.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I've found facing the subs towards the rear of the vehicle usually (not always) gives the best sound. One reason for this is that the wavelength of a bass note is usually quite a bit longer than the interior of your vehicle. For example a 60Hz note is 18.8 feet long. Thats a fair bit longer than the interior of a blazer. The lower the tone, the longer the wavelength. By angling the subs towards the rear glass you effectively add 3-4 feet to the length of the interior for the tone to be reproduced. Heres a wavelength calculator if you want to check it out.

In my truck I have the sub in the right rear corner in a sealed fibreglass enclosure. I angled it towards the rear as much as I could while still maintaining as much functional storage space. I use the cargo area all the time. Heres a pic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9453/B9CA1C799D1C423388CBC48455B837FA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member
in4lo is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: El_Beautor

I've found facing the subs towards the rear of the vehicle usually (not always) gives the best sound. One reason for this is that the wavelength of a bass note is usually quite a bit longer than the interior of your vehicle. For example a 60Hz note is 18.8 feet long. Thats a fair bit longer than the interior of a blazer. The lower the tone, the longer the wavelength. By angling the subs towards the rear glass you effectively add 3-4 feet to the length of the interior for the tone to be reproduced. Heres a wavelength calculator if you want to check it out.

In my truck I have the sub in the right rear corner in a sealed fibreglass enclosure. I angled it towards the rear as much as I could while still maintaining as much functional storage space. I use the cargo area all the time. Heres a pic.

That's a setup quite similar to the JL audio custom fit enclosure for Blazers. I was going to buy one of 'em but ran out of cashola.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: in4lo

ORIGINAL: El_Beautor

That's a setup quite similar to the JL audio custom fit enclosure for Blazers. I was going to buy one of 'em but ran out of cashola.
JL= overpriced anyway...your not missing anything

Old 11-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member

That seems to be the consensus around here.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Starting Member
brokenfish is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: brokenfish

I am by far not a pro but I do have an idea I've been thinking of I think why a box facing up sounds better then sideways is because it gets the sound waves out of the cargo area better. I wanted to make a box to go back by the tailgate angling the sub towards the space above the back seats sending the sound waves more towards the passenger area. Let me know if this sounds like a plausable idea or if I will be taking up extra space for no reason.

FYI I have a 10" rockford p1 /w a 300w Logic amp nothing big or expensive but would like to get as much quality as possable out of what I got.
I think this would be pretty genius as far as clarity is concerned... facing them rearward seems to me to turn the sound into mush and it loses quite a bit of intricacy that way.

Of course, I listen to a lot of metal so clarity during insanely fast double bass runs is crucial to my ears.
definately gotta hear joey jordenson's (Slipknot) double basses with clarity [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member

I am by far not a pro but I do have an idea I've been thinking of I think why a box facing up sounds better then sideways is because it gets the sound waves out of the cargo area better. I wanted to make a box to go back by the tailgate angling the sub towards the space above the back seats sending the sound waves more towards the passenger area. Let me know if this sounds like a plausable idea or if I will be taking up extra space for no reason.

FYI I have a 10" rockford p1 /w a 300w Logic amp nothing big or expensive but would like to get as much quality as possable out of what I got.
I think this would be pretty genius as far as clarity is concerned... facing them rearward seems to me to turn the sound into mush and it loses quite a bit of intricacy that way.

Of course, I listen to a lot of metal so clarity during insanely fast double bass runs is crucial to my ears.
definately gotta hear joey jordenson's (Slipknot) double basses with clarity
More like Vinnie Paul... but hey, to each their own.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Beginning Member
Black 1998 Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

ive got 2 12's facing the rear window and they seem to sound pretty good....but havebt compared them to anyone elses.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:16 PM
CashMoney402 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have 2 12's facing the rear window and i think it sounds amazing.

Quick Reply: Enclosure design ideas