Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Extra Idiot Lights???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extra Idiot Lights???

Well wasnt too sure were this question goes. but it is electrical so here it is...

I noticed that my cluster has idiot light holes with no bulbs in them. There is no marks on the copper around the hole so it apears it came ths way factory. What I am currios about is if I stick light bulbs in there will theye actually work? or would the pcm have to be programmed to know there their? Its lights like; up shift, check oil, service A/C, and security. Anyone know?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Extra Idiot Lights???

i wouldnt think it would have to be programed. throw a bulb in and see. I would think there should be bulbs in all the spots.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:16 PM

My truck is a 96, its not necissarily easy to get the cluster out asI have to drop the wheel or remove the shifter to getto the cluster, so its not a quick job. so just popping a bulb in isnt really gonna help unless say my missing check oil light, was actually telling me to check my oil.

So thats why Im asking if anyone has done this or knows for sure.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

ahh ok

Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As there is no mechanism for the PCM to know anything about oil level, oil quality, or duration since last oil change, having a check oil light would only be there in case your oil pressure dropped, provided the PCM actually had the functionality (doubtful). And even then, the check gauges light comes on to warn you of that if you were not already paying attention.

Being a 4dr, the "up shift" light would also not work as the programming is not in the PCM to use this feature. This was only used on the manual transmission vehicles.

There was no factory installed "security" system in the early 2nd gens that would have used a "security" light so this may be another fruitless venture.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

This was only used on the manual transmission vehicles.
hmm, funny, because its on both of my AT clusters both with and without tach. I believe it is actually a "fuel economy" light, its meant to tell you when you can save gas by running in a higher gear. however you are proly right that the pcm would need to have something enabled for that functionality to work. both clusters are from 96's. I figure thats fairly early for 2nd gen. maybe one of these days when Im not too lazy Ill take NVANZEE's advice and toss some bulbs in there for fun! apreciate the info though.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No such thing on GM vehicles. Nice thought. The reason it is there is because the same cluster screen (what is used to produce the text/gauge layout on the colored portions of the cluster) is the same across the board. Now obviously there are differences in the clusters as there is no PRND21 display on a manual trans cluster, but it just makes sense that other parts of the cluster would be shared to increase production volume, decreasing cost.

It probably is not even an option to enable any "functionality"... I really think the whole thing is just not worth it.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Thats cool, I apreciate how you back up your answers with understandable explanations. I dont like to just hear "you cant do that", but I do love to here "why I cant do that", hehe. I apreciate the help.