General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Adding extra backup lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 AM
flyinbrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adding extra backup lights?

Anyone everadded driving style lights on the rear of your blaze for added light when in reverse? Pics whould be great. How did you connect them (to the current reverse lights or just on a switch)?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Adding extra backup lights?

I added reverse lights, they are mounted to the hitch and are wired into the trailer lights... they are actually the foglights I had on the front, but the lens cracked so I found a place less obtrusive to mount them.The only reason I have them is that the Euro taillights I have don't have reflectors inthem and do not provide me with enough light for backing at night.

Additional pic

Old 07-04-2007, 03:02 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I don't think the stock reverse wiring harness is built for using actual foglights for it... I've got mine mounted on the roof, and wired to a switch up front... For... "Notification Purposes" if people forget to turn off their highbeams...

If you want them to come on with the reverse lights, I highly suggest you use a relay for it, so as not to kill the reverse light system.

They also sell not so high powered stuff, specifically for that purpose... They mount to a hitch, and things like that.

A standard 3156 or 3356 bulb makes more than enough light power for average reverse needs, as long as it's in the right reflector housing...

Old 07-04-2007, 04:26 PM
BF Veteran

I may be ordering some new taillights soon because the left is holding water... so I may just get rid of the aux. lights... The lights I have installed are the same voltage as the hitch mount bulbs, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:43 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The voltage isn't the issue... All automotive bulbs run at the same voltage...

It's the wattage and current draw that's the problem. That's not very large guage wiring back there, and most factory wires are geared fairly close to the wattage/amperage the factory bulbs are rated at...

Adding, say, 110 watts to the actual reverse light circuit will at the very least, blow the fuse... If the trailer harness has a reverse light wire that's separate from the trucks main system, then you should be fine...

Old 07-04-2007, 05:04 PM
BF Veteran

I meant watts, not volts, my brain has wandered off somewhere today...
And yes my reverse lights are wired into the stocktrailer lighting system... which was converted into a 4 wire by the first owner.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:08 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

I just bought some ultra white APC bulbs from Advance Auto Parts.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran

I've got my spiffy blue reverse lights... They work pretty good, so I can't complain... When I do need extra light, it's just a flick of a switch away! lol

Old 07-04-2007, 05:11 PM
BF Veteran

Exactly how powerful are those lights you have?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:14 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

is that question for me or drperry?

Quick Reply: Adding extra backup lights?