Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Extra speakers? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/extra-speakers-40658/)

Eraston 02-11-2010 12:34 AM

Extra speakers?

Ok so i have a 1997 blazer 4door 4WD and i am looking to add 2 more speakers because my systems bass is too loud even on low volume and i want to hear the high notes better.

My current setup.

(Console)
Dual Reciever that pushes 200w

(Cargo area)
1000w Amp (memphis)
1000w 12"sub (memphis)

(Front doors)
Stock speakers (for the time being)

(Rear doors)
200w Pioneer 6" speakers

(Panel between the side doors)
100w Tweeters (tapped into the rear door speakers.)

I thought of adding 2 more tweeters but i think having more speakers will help even better.

I would like to add them in the dash since i have the 2 spots for it and there is no speakers in there. For some reason it came with no dash speakers but has the grille and space for speakers, altho there is a thin paper-like thing inside keeping it closed but i have cut that out easely.

Do i tap into the door speakers like i did with the tweeters? I really would like to NOT have to touch the reciever because it was REALLY hard to get in and dont want to take it out.

MTopper 02-11-2010 01:41 AM

Honestly, the best way to hear your music when the bass is playing loud is to put an amp to your speakers.

I am currently running a JL Audio 12w6v2 off a Rockford amp which is giving it about 300 watts rms. I'm running the cheap 35 dollar Pioneer speakers in the doors, no rear speakers, and the stock dash "tweeters". They sound good but do get over powered. i hooked up my extra kicker amp to the little boy speakers and they sounded a lot better and played well with my sub.

Thats my 2 cents.

Eraston 02-11-2010 02:26 AM

my only concern about adding another amp is having to upgrade my alternator or get a capacitor...

and if not...this brings me to my next question...

how exactly do i run 2 amps off my reciever? o.o

bumpinBEATS95 02-11-2010 07:16 AM

getting a RCA splitter, which lets you run a second set of RCAs to the new amp

bobditts 02-11-2010 07:27 AM

lol kids!

first, you will never need a capacitor. Second, instead of adding more speakers, you should replace the stock speakers with better quality speakers. then you can get rid of your tweeters between the side doors. You want the speakers to be placed in front of you the best you can. When you go to a concert, the sound comes from the front, not behind you.

95Jimmy 02-11-2010 08:30 PM

Why don't you just turn the gain down on the amp or the bass down on the CD player? IMO you'd be much better off adding another amp- wiring the door speakers is a PITA though. You don't need a huge amp to get a good sound out of your mids and highs. How many RCA outputs does your current CD player have now?

bobditts 02-11-2010 08:35 PM

the gain is NOT a volume nob. If the gain is properly set, dont touch it.

Eraston 02-11-2010 08:44 PM

It might have 2 sets im not 100% sure i will pull the reciever out tomorrow and check...i remember it having 2 RCA looking outputs and i know 1 was the amp i have now...i dont remember what the other 2 were tho.

RCA splitter? wouldnt that kill the power goin to my current amp tho? i dont wanna drain power from one if thats possible.

86Blazer4x4 02-11-2010 09:37 PM

ok well first off to do it properly you should check and see if you have three set of amplifier pre-outs on your radio. then you would run all three of those RCA's to where your going to mount the amps. then off that existing power wire your going to have to get a splitter and run separate power wires to each amp. then with the remote turn on wire your going to have to split that off to each amp also. grounds your going to need two. now with the capacitors they are junk dont use them. if you get a small four channel amp then you should be fine because producing highs and mids takes alot less power than producing bass.

Benedict1337 02-11-2010 10:52 PM

well a 1000 watt woofer and just the little amount of watts ur head unit puts out no wonder ur bass is overpowering your speakers. I have a 200 watt woofer and that thing gets loud. but then I'm pretty much the opossite of you my speakers overpower my woofer. and if you ever were looking to put 2 more speakers in I have an idea for u

https://blazerforum.com/forum/pictur...pictureid=6641
https://blazerforum.com/forum/pictur...pictureid=6639

95Jimmy 02-12-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by bobditts (Post 299060)
the gain is NOT a volume nob. If the gain is properly set, dont touch it.

No it's not a volume know BUT if it's overpowering everything else and all you hear is boom when you turn up the volume how is it going to damage anything by turning it down? Ever damaged anything by not listening to the stereo loud enough? You can always properly set the gains again.

Eraston 02-16-2010 12:39 AM

ok

ok either im really stupid or just fail at the interwebz...

i cannot find an rca splitter to save my life!

i want something good that isnt gonna kill the sound going from my reciever to my new 300w amp (for the door speakers) along with my 1000w amp (for the sub)

also...can soomeone please explain to me how exactly i would go about splitting them? i cant seem to draw that out in my head either because i dont want to have both amps next to each other since the speakers/sub are nowhere close to eachother.

89K5gasahollica 02-16-2010 11:03 AM

Memphis tweeter tappin.......the remix

if neither amp has output rca's get y cables fom radio shack.they came 2 per pack and are either 1male to 2 females,or 1 female to 2 males. the memphis should have rca outputs next to the inputs.so you take rcas from stereo to the memphis then put new amp rcas to the memphis via the outputs,.also you are above the wattage stock electrical charging system can support properly, fear not its a easy fix and a cool trick.get 15 feet or so of 2 or 4 gauge power wire.a wire brush,and proper connectors for gauge you get.pop hood, go to battery.find red+ wire going from pos. battery terminal to the alternator stud,cut/remove and replace with new fat wire(firmly attach-no half ass or jerry rigs )if it comes off and you come to a rolling stop w/ a dead battery.next look at negative battery terminal,find black wire that goes right to the chassis(usually right up to the top of fan shroud area screwed into metal)cut/remove and replace with fat wire and run it to your trucks frame.clean area of frame to a shiny metal with wire brush before bolting/screwing wire to frame.last find negative terminal wire that goes to the engine block(usually goes to the thermostat housing or close by)cut/remove and replace with fat wire to the same place with exsisting nut. bam done. the wire is a bit high in price but 30 bucks max and a significant increase in sound you will hear.my k5 ran better electrically after doing it too.im running 2 RE audio SEx 12's on a 1610 hifonics brutus, and kenwood 5way 6x9's on a dual xia480, with infiniti 3 1/2' 2way references.sounds like you almost there bro..stick with it

89K5gasahollica 02-16-2010 11:16 AM

if amps lack outputs get 2 Y connectors(1male plug into 2 female plugs) plug the 2 male ends into back of head unit, you should now have 4 female connectors to wich you run to both amps. carefully make sure L goes to left sides and R goes to right sides i.e. the 2 ends(red,white) of your rca's are each going to a seperate y cable.also run rcas on opposite side you run your power wires,and dont use same ground wire on both amps-seperate grounds.

samuknow 02-16-2010 11:49 AM

Totally dig the 6x9s in the hatch. great idea. how do they sound?

Ditto what 89K5gasahollica said.

Benedict1337 02-16-2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by samuknow (Post 300733)
Totally dig the 6x9s in the hatch. great idea. how do they sound?

Ditto what 89K5gasahollica said.

they sound good especially with the seats down, or if your having a party and want to listen to some music outside

bstocksblazer 02-16-2010 02:05 PM

How did you wire those 6x9's in the rear hatch? I have tried to brainstorm more bass without losing any floor space. I "sleep" in the back of the truck alot and don't want to have to slide/remove sleaker boxes when I really want to "sleep". I'm a complete novice at speaker wiring so don't skip steps, haha. I have a kenwood deck and have relaced all the speakers with the Infinti reference series.

Benedict1337 02-16-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bstocksblazer (Post 300798)
How did you wire those 6x9's in the rear hatch? I have tried to brainstorm more bass without losing any floor space. I "sleep" in the back of the truck alot and don't want to have to slide/remove sleaker boxes when I really want to "sleep". I'm a complete novice at speaker wiring so don't skip steps, haha. I have a kenwood deck and have relaced all the speakers with the Infinti reference series.

I wired them to go with the defroster wire. looks like they are stock. and yea I used to have speaker boxes... they suck

Eraston 02-17-2010 11:58 PM

ok thnx for all the replies this has helped so much!

time to start a new post with a new issue :)

bumpinBEATS95 02-18-2010 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 89K5gasahollica (Post 300727)
dont use same ground wire on both amps-seperate grounds.

im lost on why not to share the ground

Benedict1337 02-18-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by bumpinBEATS95 (Post 301681)
im lost on why not to share the ground

if you ground both of them together and one short circuits there goes both of your amps

JShark 02-24-2010 12:19 AM

guess whos putting 6x9's in on the hatch!? :D sweet idea benedict

Benedict1337 02-24-2010 09:10 AM

I thought it was. it is much better than using 6x9 boxes..:icon_emm:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...7res/006-9.jpg

R3DxDR4GON 03-22-2010 10:53 AM

IMO, dont get an RCA splitter, it'll cut your RCA voltage in half (hence the word splitter) and you wont get the best possible sound quality from your amps. invest the money in a crossover so you have an rca input (from your head unit) and two outputs (or three depending on how in depth you want to go) for bass and mids/highs.

blazerboy001 05-26-2010 11:41 PM

Probably way too late, but you have spaces in the dash for 4X6's, yes?

DSMayo 05-27-2010 01:14 AM

Yes, but I believe the majority of people go with components in the front - woofers in the doors and tweets in the stock location.

blazerboy001 05-28-2010 08:19 PM

I have 6.5 Alpines and 4X6 pioneers in the front of mine and it sounds beautiful.

Benedict1337 05-28-2010 11:30 PM

I have 2 4x6s 4 6 1/2" and 2 6x9's all polk. I like how the 4x6s sound in the dash better than just tweeters

MTopper 05-29-2010 12:44 AM

Benedict, did you ever have components up front? i'll be installing my components in the next week or so and i hope they live up to my expectations.

Benedict1337 05-29-2010 12:47 AM

yea I have components in the front but I have 4x6s as well. all of my speakers have crossovers even my full range

MTopper 05-29-2010 12:54 AM

ok, i wan't sure. where do you have your tweeters mounted if you're using 4x6s in the stock locations?

Benedict1337 05-29-2010 01:34 AM

sadly they aren't hooked up right now. I've been considering drilling a hole in the door panel somewhere still trying to think of how to get the tweeters to stay idk if I want to glue them or not.. i got a good deal a circuit city when they were still in business... on the rear 6 1/2 in speakers buy the second set of speakers for free so I got the 4x6s for free and hooked them up and liked the sound better. I used to have just the components in my s10

bumpinBEATS95 05-29-2010 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by MTopper (Post 333817)
ok, i wan't sure. where do you have your tweeters mounted if you're using 4x6s in the stock locations?

i have mine at the top of my pillars, ill get a pic later

nineteensixtycaddy 05-30-2010 10:19 AM

Strange Setup

Ok... these blazers have a very interesting setup from the factory.

Originally, my dash had two four ohm tweeters, mounted in the space where a 4x6 speaker should fit.

Originally, my front doors had two four ohm 5.5 inch mids.

And originally my rear doors, had two 9 ohm 6 inch woofers.

So... why do I say originally? because stock sucks! and because my original speakers were mostly blown, and the wiring was still good, and the head unit was still great.

So... here's what I've done.

The front dash speakers, are now 4x6's 4 ohm, 150 watt (not that the head unit will power them at that level, but I know I"ll never blow them!)

The front door speakers, are now 6 inch 4 ohm 150 watt. Again, not that the head unit will power them at 150, but they'll never blow.

The rear door speakers, well, I couldn't find any 9 ohm speakers, so I figured any 8 ohm that can handle the watts should be just fine.

So... it went like this, trips to stores for 8 ohm speakers lead to nice little household speakers, or portable stereo speakers. Didn't like the sound, not enough bass reproduction.

Well... turned out, my OLD household box speakers, which include a tweeter, two mids, and a 10 inch woofer, are 100 watt, 8 ohm speakers!!!

So... I re-routed the wiring to the rear doors, to the "trunk" area.

Wired in the box speakers, and WAHOOOOO... it worked great.

Excellent sound from the dash, front doors, and now, from the trunk too!

And... I had to try one more toy.

I've got an 8 ohm box subwoofer, self powered, by 110 outlet. Used it for my surround sound setup in the house for a couple years. Neat setup.
The woofer takes the lines from your head unit, and then sends lines out to each speaker. It grabs the low frequency only, and then the 110 power supplies additional bass, with it's own volume knob. But the problem I had for the truck was... how do I power this thing?

Easy trip to radio shack, supplied me with a power inverter. Plugged in the subwoofer box to the inverter, wired the rear speaker wires into the subwoofer, and then wired the rear box speakers into the subwoofer out lines.

HOLY CRUD!!! amazing sound. More bass then I can handle at 1/2 volume. And it's easy to return to "family safe" by simply turning off the power inverter.

I'll have to take some photos of the setup. It's ugly at this point, but I plan on covering the rear setup with a fence and carpet (so the sound goes through), and then putting in a doggie guard, so I can still have some useable trunk space.

97MikeBlaze 06-07-2010 03:20 AM

Tehe, now THIS is my type of thread!:icon_speaker1:

Thogert 04-29-2011 08:36 PM

So I feel dumb for asking this but, which wires under the dash are for the stock tweeters?

MTopper 04-30-2011 12:31 AM

under the dash or behind the radio?

i can't remember off the top of my head but i can check tomorrow.

Thogert 04-30-2011 01:14 AM

Behind the radio

MTopper 04-30-2011 06:00 PM

well behind the radio, there are only 4 wires out of the radio. (at least with mine now. i have no idea what it looks like stock anymore, that was 3 years ago).

i just always play with them before i hook it up. i usually do a battery test where you strip the wire and connect negative to negative and positive to positive. it'll burp the speaker and you can figure it out that way

96jimmyslt4x4 05-02-2011 11:53 AM

I didn't read the whole thread, but if you don't have speakers in the dash, you are going to have terrible high end.

I have 40w rms 2-ways (polk DB461's) in the dash. I have to turn the gain on them all the way down or they overpower the 50w 6.5's in the front doors.

I have them both on an amp.

The dash speaker placement reflects off the windshield and directly onto your ears.

And always put speakers on an amp if you want any quality or loudness.

Head units put out 15-20w rms and generally will never sound as good as an amp will.

Think about how many things the head unit does and it's size, and compare that to the amp's size and how many things it does.