Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Video Electronics (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/)
-   -   Extra speakers? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/audio-video-electronics-8/extra-speakers-40658/)

MTopper 05-29-2010 12:54 AM

ok, i wan't sure. where do you have your tweeters mounted if you're using 4x6s in the stock locations?

Benedict1337 05-29-2010 01:34 AM

sadly they aren't hooked up right now. I've been considering drilling a hole in the door panel somewhere still trying to think of how to get the tweeters to stay idk if I want to glue them or not.. i got a good deal a circuit city when they were still in business... on the rear 6 1/2 in speakers buy the second set of speakers for free so I got the 4x6s for free and hooked them up and liked the sound better. I used to have just the components in my s10

bumpinBEATS95 05-29-2010 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by MTopper (Post 333817)
ok, i wan't sure. where do you have your tweeters mounted if you're using 4x6s in the stock locations?

i have mine at the top of my pillars, ill get a pic later

nineteensixtycaddy 05-30-2010 10:19 AM

Strange Setup

Ok... these blazers have a very interesting setup from the factory.

Originally, my dash had two four ohm tweeters, mounted in the space where a 4x6 speaker should fit.

Originally, my front doors had two four ohm 5.5 inch mids.

And originally my rear doors, had two 9 ohm 6 inch woofers.

So... why do I say originally? because stock sucks! and because my original speakers were mostly blown, and the wiring was still good, and the head unit was still great.

So... here's what I've done.

The front dash speakers, are now 4x6's 4 ohm, 150 watt (not that the head unit will power them at that level, but I know I"ll never blow them!)

The front door speakers, are now 6 inch 4 ohm 150 watt. Again, not that the head unit will power them at 150, but they'll never blow.

The rear door speakers, well, I couldn't find any 9 ohm speakers, so I figured any 8 ohm that can handle the watts should be just fine.

So... it went like this, trips to stores for 8 ohm speakers lead to nice little household speakers, or portable stereo speakers. Didn't like the sound, not enough bass reproduction.

Well... turned out, my OLD household box speakers, which include a tweeter, two mids, and a 10 inch woofer, are 100 watt, 8 ohm speakers!!!

So... I re-routed the wiring to the rear doors, to the "trunk" area.

Wired in the box speakers, and WAHOOOOO... it worked great.

Excellent sound from the dash, front doors, and now, from the trunk too!

And... I had to try one more toy.

I've got an 8 ohm box subwoofer, self powered, by 110 outlet. Used it for my surround sound setup in the house for a couple years. Neat setup.
The woofer takes the lines from your head unit, and then sends lines out to each speaker. It grabs the low frequency only, and then the 110 power supplies additional bass, with it's own volume knob. But the problem I had for the truck was... how do I power this thing?

Easy trip to radio shack, supplied me with a power inverter. Plugged in the subwoofer box to the inverter, wired the rear speaker wires into the subwoofer, and then wired the rear box speakers into the subwoofer out lines.

HOLY CRUD!!! amazing sound. More bass then I can handle at 1/2 volume. And it's easy to return to "family safe" by simply turning off the power inverter.

I'll have to take some photos of the setup. It's ugly at this point, but I plan on covering the rear setup with a fence and carpet (so the sound goes through), and then putting in a doggie guard, so I can still have some useable trunk space.

97MikeBlaze 06-07-2010 03:20 AM

Tehe, now THIS is my type of thread!:icon_speaker1:

Thogert 04-29-2011 08:36 PM

So I feel dumb for asking this but, which wires under the dash are for the stock tweeters?

MTopper 04-30-2011 12:31 AM

under the dash or behind the radio?

i can't remember off the top of my head but i can check tomorrow.

Thogert 04-30-2011 01:14 AM

Behind the radio

MTopper 04-30-2011 06:00 PM

well behind the radio, there are only 4 wires out of the radio. (at least with mine now. i have no idea what it looks like stock anymore, that was 3 years ago).

i just always play with them before i hook it up. i usually do a battery test where you strip the wire and connect negative to negative and positive to positive. it'll burp the speaker and you can figure it out that way

96jimmyslt4x4 05-02-2011 11:53 AM

I didn't read the whole thread, but if you don't have speakers in the dash, you are going to have terrible high end.

I have 40w rms 2-ways (polk DB461's) in the dash. I have to turn the gain on them all the way down or they overpower the 50w 6.5's in the front doors.

I have them both on an amp.

The dash speaker placement reflects off the windshield and directly onto your ears.

And always put speakers on an amp if you want any quality or loudness.

Head units put out 15-20w rms and generally will never sound as good as an amp will.

Think about how many things the head unit does and it's size, and compare that to the amp's size and how many things it does.