Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Factory Security and Unlock Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:17 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough
Default Factory Security and Unlock Codes

Getting ready to remove my original AM/FM/CD in my 2001 Blazer to install an aftermarket head unit. I have two questions:

1. Will anything need to be done to have the factory security system functional with the aftermarket head unit (all security except for the stereo).

2. Is there anything I can do before removing the factory stereo to determine the unlock code - if I ever want to reinstall it or sell to someone else.

Not sure exactly how all this works.

Thanks in advance,

Les

Old 01-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

GM fooled with that a lot, almost every year there was something different, just like Passlock. On some of them, the code in the BCM, and the code in the radio had to match or no go. Requires a Tech2 scanner at the dealer to reprogram those. Others only had a code in the radio. Check the owners manual, it might say something about it.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough
Default short REview of Kenwood KDC-X898

No problem installing an aftermarket single DIN stereo into a 2001 Blazer using Metra faceplate, Metra antenna adapter, and Metra wiring adapter. Security system works exactly as before.

+1 on the Kenwood KDC-X898. This thing does a LOT! Features sure have improved and prices have come down since I last bought a car stereo!

This thing charges my iPhone through the standard iPhone cable and will connect with it through either USB or Bluetooth. Hands free calling and play of music on the iPhone. I just leave phone with bluetooth enabled in my pocket and control all through the radio. Wife has played the Pandora app on her iPhone through the stereo using a cable, but does not like the Stereo interface with the Pandora app, and the Pandora interface on the iPhone seems to be disabled. She has not yet tried Pandora using bluetooth. This might allow her to select using the iPhone screen and play through the stereo. Don't know yet. I suppose she can always use the aux input for Pandora if nothing else works to her satisfaction. Still haven't tried it with my Android tablet.

But most importantly, I have the Rear USB cable leading into the glove box where I will soon have every MP3 that I own on a 64GB flash drive (at this time I have a 16GB flash drive in it). Now that is cool!!! Will definitely keep the CD clutter down and I'll never have to run back into the house for different music again!! Directory navigation of all this music through the stereo is actually pretty good as will sort and display directories by artist and album and song title using MP3 tags. Will have to see how long it takes to read the directories on the 64GB drive when I get everything on it.

Sound quality is OK for just the head unit and factory speakers. What I expected. A little more power than original. Needs a sub but no good place to put it.

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-14-2015 at 02:34 PM.