Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Fiberglassing the bobditts way

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiberglassing the bobditts way

We needed a sticky for DIY fiberglassing so I figured I would spearhead the task.

Here is the area I will be glassing. First step is to clean the area with a cleaner that will not leave any residue behind. I like alcohol based windex.

Next step is to tape the area. If you are taping over plastic like I am here, Use masking tape as a base and painters tape over it. The painters tape doesnt like to stick to plastic.

Here is the area completely taped off

Next apply tinfoil over the area you are FGing and all around it. This is to protect the vehicle from misc resin and FG accidents.

Here is a pic of the materials you will need.
- FG resin with hardener
- Respirator
- FG matting (the strands, not the woven mesh)
- power drill with mixing attatchment (I use a long allen wrench)
- Mixing containing
- 2" painter brush (not shown - I get mine from harbor freight by the box when they are on sale)
- latex gloves

The next few steps I dont have any pictures of because time was of the essense. Rip your FG matting (or hair)into the sized pieces you need. Ripping the FG matting will allow the edges to me frayed and will blend easier when it is applied. Pour the resin into your mixing container and add the appropriate amount of hardener. Mix it up real good. Apply a base coat of resin to the are you will be FGing. Apply your FG hair one layer thick at a time. Use your paint brush to dab the resin into the hair. Keep applying resin until you cannot see white spots anymore. Dabbing with the paint brush will ensure the resin gets absorbed into the hair properly and will also reduce the risk of air bubbles forming. Should bubbling occur, dab them with the brush towards the edges of the hair until they dissappear. Apply as many layers as you need. I recommend atleast 3-4 layers. Allow the resin to fully cure. At 65 degrees I let mine sit for atleast 2 hours. At 90 degrees, .5 - 1 hour should be good.

Here is a picture of where Im at now.

Next step is to remove the fiberglass piece we just made after it thougholy hardens and make a template for your next piece. The template will be transferred over to MDF. Even though we are fiberglassing, you still want to use as much MDF as you can. It is much cheaper and easier to work with.

Copy the template over to your piece of MDF and cut it out with the saw of your choice. I prefer a band saw but dont have one, so I use a jig saw. I am using 1/2" MDF for my project because there wont be a lot of pressure built up from the tiny 8" subs Im using. The larger the subs, the larger the MDF you want to use with more internal bracing.

Next step is to draw on your fiberglass piece with a marker where you want to trim. Trim the piece with the tool of your choice. I use a cutting wheel on my dremel. You can also use an air saw or a jig saw if it will work.

After cutting your pieces out, hold them in place in the vehicle and glue them in place (to each other)temporarily
[IMG]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/bobditts/blazer%20inst

Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fiberglassing the bobditts way

Looks great! Once you get it completed, I will make a copy of it and put it into the DIY section. Please try to keep all of the info in the first post, bumping the thread as you add more info. I'll make this into the discussion thread for the DIY article.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:34 PM

will do . Thanks bud!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, way cool. Definitely something i've been very interested in learning how to do.

Quick question... do people ever use anything besides tin foil? Seems like there'd be something a bit smoother than that.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

looks nice, but your lacking pics of the most important steps.....

Old 02-27-2008, 09:52 PM

some people will FG right over the tape and skip the tin foil part completely. I like to be better safe than sorry so add the foil. I smoothed out the foil best I could. You arent going to see any of the FG when Im done so it doesnt need to be perfect.

I would have more pics if I didnt care about getting my camera full of resin. No one else was home to take pictures of the work being done.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

Did my lackluster attempt inspire your tutorial ditts? Haha... Anyways, for anyone trying this for the first time, dont forget laquer thinner, or your paintbrush will be in the dumpster after the first go around. Its really not as hard as it looks guys. I'm going to post some updates in my thread tommarro hopefully.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM

That is why I buy my brushes from harbor freight in boxes of 36. The box is a whopping $7. Thats a whole 19 cents a brush. Not really worth trying to clean.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

Id like to see detail on the design for mounting the mid....did you guys still use dowels*?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 PM

mid what mid? There is nothing but subs in this thread. You talking about my kicks?

Quick Reply: Fiberglassing the bobditts way