Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Front Dash Speakers - 98" Jimmy 4DR 4WD SLS - My brain hurts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:36 PM
cide is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Front Dash Speakers - 98" Jimmy 4DR 4WD SLS - My brain hurts.

So,

After reading

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...er+Wire&page=2

I began to think...

I have these 4x6 dash speakers up front, However, Unlike my intermitent stock speakers which are being replaced (Front's are done!), The speakers up in my dash have _NEVER_ worked, Ever. Not a peep.

I assume the connections on them are also oxidized green, or they are blown or have some other problem.

However, my front speakers, If according to the above thread is true - They are wired in "Series" with the 4x6's in the dash!! Meaning, The 4 Ohm in the Door combined with the 4 Ohm in the Dash becomes a 8 Ohm combined load. (Not good)

If this is true (I am hoping for some clear guidance here...)

What should I be doing since I am tearing various parts of the Blazer this weekend, What happens if I just open up the dash panels and tape the wires after removing them from the speaker, Do my front doors which I have hooked up to stock wires do their normal 4Ohm? (No removal of anything, just clipped old speakers off at the end and hooked them to new ones)

I can't quite think it through cause I'm tired, But, Whats the best way around this for me? I've never heard these things work so persay, I am satisfied with just 2 fronts and some rear fill... But, someone in another thread said Bass Blockers and 2Ohm 4x6's would be a better option, is it really?

I just really want the best option. I know I have my polarity correct as far as the front door speakers go, Neg to Pos by GM color code......... But, if they are running through a crossover or wired in series to the dash speakers, This would effectively change my polarity, my ohmage, And be giving my nice new HU a headache, would it not?

What do the pros here at blazer forum have to say?

I figure, If the speakers are not working in the dash, Then unless I am missing something I can safely assume the front doors are operating at their intended 4 Ohm's? (Aftermarket Components)

I guess, This leads me to one other uncertainty. The dash speakers are in fact connected to the front speaker wires at the factory harness afterall, Right? Thats why I couldnt find seperate wires for the Dash on a aftermarket harness, cause they are one in the same?

Thanks A TON in advance, I wanna get this all done this weekend. I am learning tons, too. Haha. I know about parellel/series in Dual voice coils subs but not so much this..

Bonus Question:
Since I'm using stock wiring/harness, Is there any Crossover's, Low Pass filters, Bass blockers or other stock components I should remove from the front or notably the back? I have read on this forum that the stock rear speakers are run through a Low-pass filter, If this is the case, Can you point out where I can see it when the panel's off?

Last edited by cide; 04-17-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Question about Bass Blockers/Low Pass Filters
Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

You can just bypass the front dash speakers no problem. But are they actually 4x6;s in dash. I have not come across many that actually have more than a tweeter there. ( 2 out of probably 150 or so)

For bonus questions, if you have no factory amp, there are no low-pass filters anywhere in the truck. straight wires.